We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there anything around Las Cruces to photograph

Which Las Cruces hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redding, California
Is there anything around Las Cruces to photograph

We are considering coming to Las Cruces to visit family and I love to take nature pictures. Is there anything there worth photographing?

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
1. Re: Is there anything around Las Cruces to photograph

The Organ Mountains east of Las Cruces, are some of New Mexico's most photogenic, and unusual. Especially great at sunset when they change to orange, red, and then finally purple after the sun sets below the horizon.

Also, you'd want to visit historic, old Mesilla, about 3-5 miles south of Las Cruces in the valley. The valley drive down to El Paso is also enjoyable, with many orchards offering various types of nuts. There are also a couple of good restaurants in Mesilla that have been around for years.

Last, but certainly not least, you'll definitely want to make the 50 mile drive east over Organ Pass to White Sands National Monument. If you are coming in summer, go there in the morning hours, as it can easily reach over 100F. on summer afternoons. In winter, late afternoons are best. There is no water inside the park, past the Visitors Center. Bring hats or caps, dark sunglasses, and WATER! Also, do not hike too far from your car, as there are no landmarks amongst the 30ft. dunes of white gypsum to guide you back.

Enjoy your trip to Las Cruces. It is a very nice small city now. I used to live there when it was a very nice small town. :-)

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
reviews: 37
2. Re: Is there anything around Las Cruces to photograph

You might also consider Dripping Springs Natural Area, which is about 10 miles east of Las Cruces. Read about it here:

blm.gov/nm/…dripping_springs.html

Las Cruces, NM
3. Re: Is there anything around Las Cruces to photograph

You should definitely check out 'City of Rocks" north of Deming. This is a large area of eery, undulating smooth rock formations sticking up in the middle of nowhere. It is used for a camping and hiking area as well as sliding and climbing over the formations. Very interesting angles, shapes, and colors.

Las Cruces, New...
4. Re: Is there anything around Las Cruces to photograph

I think the sunsets along in Las Cruces coming up over the mountains are reason enough for a photography field trip.

There is nothing like it in the world.

That's what attracted me to the area years ago. I would live anywhere else.

Hope you enjoy your time in our fair city.

Www.LasCrucesAreaDentist.com

reviews: 1
5. Re: Is there anything around Las Cruces to photograph

Everything is worth photographing. You have mountains, desert, wildlife, cultural events. It's easily the best kept secret in the US.

Edited: 3:11 am, October 26, 2010
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 27
6. Re: Is there anything around Las Cruces to photograph

Even the campus of New Mexico State University in LC has some photo possibilities

Coconut Creek...
reviews: 12
7. Re: Is there anything around Las Cruces to photograph

We are in Las Cruces right now. I love it. Today we went to Old Town Mesillia. People we taking photos all over town. Such a wonderful historic village. We will go back tomorrow to take pictures. The food at La Posada is wonderful. We have found that New Mexico has wonderful food. Don't miss the town of Hatch. It is famous for its red chile peppers. We did not stop ther, but wish we had. Tomorrow we go to the farmers market. Will take photos there.

Hope you love it like we do.

Mary Joe

8. Re: Is there anything around Las Cruces to photograph

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 19, 2011