We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One month in farmington

Which Farmington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mallu in India
reviews: 4
One month in farmington

My husband and I plan to be in Farmington in May for a month. We will be staying with our daughter so accommodation not an issue . Which are the must see places in and around Farmington ? Are there places we can see on our own ie is public transport good ?

4 replies to this topic
USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
1. Re: One month in farmington

You might want to research some of the available tours of Chaco canyon & the Salmon ruins such as these:

http://www.chacotours.org/dinetah.html

Some of the roads like into Chaco canyon may be too rough for a rental car.

Mesa Verde ruins are magnificent and about 75 miles from Farmington.

However, you might want a rental car to visit Durango, Colorado about an hour north of Farmington, ride the train through the mountains to Silverton, etc. and to drive to visit Santa Fe.

Here are ideas & guided tours that could be customized:

http://www.farmingtonnm.org/pages/tours.html

Even though I used to teach in the 4-Corners area, I can't help you regarding public transportation, except to say that Farmington does have a bus system.

Could you rent a car?

Edited: 9:30 am, February 02, 2014
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: One month in farmington

Yes, definitely rent a car. Will make life so much easier. More places are Canyon de Chelly NM and Monument Valley but I suggest to stay overnight then. (Same for Durango and Mesa Verde).

Farmington, New...
reviews: 1
3. Re: One month in farmington

I would not count on public transportation in Farmington, it is minimal and is so remote from other 'must sees' that it wouldn't help you out all, unless you count hitch hiking as public transportation. The winter has been really mild this year and I don't see using a rental car to go to Chaco as a problem. It can get slippery if it has been raining or snowing, but I've personally gone there in a sedan type car and didn't have a problem or even see what the big deal was in regards to the road being hazardous, although sliding off the road in bad weather is a possibility.

The Bisti wilderness is really unique and neat, but if your not used to using a compass and trekking through terrain without trails or signage then I would skip it.

If you have a whole month here in Farmington and you don't come to this region often, I would ABSOLUTELY take a several days to go to Moab. Beginning of May might be a good time to go there, before it gets too hot. Its about 3 hours from Farmington and more than worth the drive. However, If you do go to Moab, make your accommodations now because all of Moab can be fully booked well in advanced, especially since Spring and Fall are peak times. Moab is one of my most favorite places ever and even a couple of days there is better than nothing.

I've been living in Farmington for about a year, and the four corners area for six years and have explored almost everything in this region, and as long as your willing/able to get out of Farmington you can uncover some breathtaking landscape. You can't come to New Mexico and not learn something about the Native Americans and their culture either.

I agree that Mesa Verde is a must for a day trip.

There are a lot of rafting outfitters in Durango that you might want to check out. Its can be a nice float through town, far from extreme.

Pagosa Springs, an 1 and 45 minutes away, has some amazing hot springs that are worth the trip, and the scenery in Pagosa is spectacular. They just got recognized by National Geographic Adventure as a top 10 destination in North America.

Skip Albuquerque.

Santa Fe is amazing.

Farmington and nearby areas have some nice ruins if you have never been to any Native American sites before, but you will exhaust all options well before your month stay is done. Your own transportation is a must if you want to see the sites.

If you just want to get out and go for a walk along the river, see some birds, Farmington has a lovely park system that you can meet up at different locations all over town. The Frisbee Golf course is also a nice place to go for a picnic and a little mild activity.

Hope this helps some and enjoy your stay!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 27
4. Re: One month in farmington

You are also near the border of Colorado, such as Durango. There is also Crow Canyon Archeology Center, (near Cortes, CO) where there are artifacts and digs.

http://www.durango.org

https://www.crowcanyon.org

Its also about four hours to Grand Canyon (kinda considered close in these parts...)

Reply to: One month in farmington
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted