We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A74 Hotel - Suspect Reviews- Anyone been there?

Which Phu Quoc Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 34
A74 Hotel - Suspect Reviews- Anyone been there?

Have been looking for well priced PQ accoms for May. A74 has a huge list of impeccable reviews, but all from one-time Posters. Gives the impression of management cooking the books. Does anyone have a genuine opinion of it, or recommend similar. I like the area it is in.

Also, How long is the drive from Duong Dong to Ham Ninh Wharf for connection to Ha Tien?

And, Is PQ to Kep Do-able in a day?

Ha Tien, Vietnam
reviews: 5
1. Re: A74 Hotel - Suspect Reviews- Anyone been there?

1) Not stayed there personally,but I know people who have and they didn't have any complaints

2)The drive takes about 30 minutes

3)Yes,get the morning boat from PQ to Ha Tien,then a minibus from here to Kep,you should be there by 2pm latest Boat leavesPQ 08.00,arrives HT c 10.00,minibus can meet you at the dock,straight to the border and on to Kep I have used both Virak Buntham and Mattom services,Mattom will get you there quicker,and it's cheaper

North Carolina
reviews: 5
2. Re: A74 Hotel - Suspect Reviews- Anyone been there?

That is one of the better "roads" by PQ standards and the shortest drive on the island. We never wore a watch nor paid attention to time while we were there but I would agree with the 30 min estimate.

A74 hotel sits in front of Thien Hai Son resort. It looked nice enough from the outside. I could not see any way for their guests to access the beach though.

Phuket Town...
3. Re: A74 Hotel - Suspect Reviews- Anyone been there?

A74 had the best customer service of any hotel I have stayed in on Phu Quoc, including the 4 star ones. The rooms are basic and thebeds fairly firm, but there is aircon, cable tv, wifi in the rooms, but no more frills. The staff can't doenough for you.

However pay the few bucks extra for the seaview rooms as some of the cheaper ones don't have windows.

And yes there is sea access through the Duong Dong Hotel next door - easy.

Katoomba, New South...
reviews: 2
4. Re: A74 Hotel - Suspect Reviews- Anyone been there?

Hey guys Il be staying at A74 in a couple of weeks, my question goes to anyone who has stayed there : Did you find it was predominately a family kind of place or did you also see solo travelers?

Also to anyone who has stayed on the island, is it possible to go snorkeling off the beach and see anything worth while? Would also like to rent a motor bike and hear that its tricky with the license requirements, just wandering if anyone has experienced this..

Phu Quoc Island...
reviews: 12
5. Re: A74 Hotel - Suspect Reviews- Anyone been there?

A74 is a good budget hotel that is well run with friendly staff great for solo travelers and no probs with beach access.

Some places on the north west you can snorkel off the shore apart from that its easier by doing a boat tip.

Of course if you have a vn motobike licence or not you cannot be covered by any travel insurance so if you dont feel comfortable there is another option to take a knowledable licenced driver on the back of his moto around the island.

Rohan

http://www.visitphuquoc.info

Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 34
6. Re: A74 Hotel - Suspect Reviews- Anyone been there?

Thanks Luke for asking, it has reminded me to post good things about A 74. Only my wife and I traveled this time and we bit the bullet given mainly the price and the fact we were only there for two days. The A74 is exactly what it sells. A very good, cheap, basic motel. We found the price great for what it offered. We had the inside room with no windows. The food downstairs was excellent, the staff more than helpful and the location was awesome. The air con was cold, as was the fridge and the ensuite was adequate. Again there is nothing flash about it, but everything was clean and worked.

It was the closest "Budget" hotel to Duong Dong. Probably the fact it had no pool would prevent me from staying for a week or so, but it was perfect for two to three nights.

You can rent a scooter very, very easily from anywhere nearby. Just the licence/insurance thing you have to run the gauntlet on. Just get an international licence through NRMA before you leave Oz. For those interested we also traveled from Phu Quoc to Kep, did it easily in a day, including the border crossing, which was an experience, for USD$25. We simply walked towards Duong Dong and there is about 3-4 little 'travel agencies' that assist with boat and land transport to anywhere pretty much, even Siem Reap.

A74 was predominantly couples of all ages, with the odd solo traveller. You can get down the beach(bay) fairly easily, but you can't walk all the way into town via the beach. It is a 7 min walk or USD$1 taxi to the night market.

Phuket Town...
7. Re: A74 Hotel - Suspect Reviews- Anyone been there?

I stayed at A74 for a few days because of its location and price, but was bowled over by the customer service there so have been back. Its general facilities are better than you would expect for a budget hotel,and though the rooms are fairly basic you can still use WIFI in them. Not strictly beachfront but there is a path a minute away down to the beach. See www.phuquochub.com for more details I would say the best budget hotel on the island.

Phuket Town...
8. Re: A74 Hotel - Suspect Reviews- Anyone been there?

To better answer your question Luke, couples and singles and families have been sighted at A74. At reception they will organise any trips for you, including boats/scooters and you will get a much better deal than at most of the bigger hotels.

9. Re: A74 Hotel - Suspect Reviews- Anyone been there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 12, 2012