We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franschhoek & Stellenbosch with no car and only 1-2 nights

Which Franschhoek hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
reviews: 5
Franschhoek & Stellenbosch with no car and only 1-2 nights

We have a very limited time in Cape Town, but someone recommended we do 2-3 days in Cape Town and 2 days in a B&B. We will not have a car. Is it one of those things we you stay one night in Franschhoek & and the other Stellenbosch? What are the towns like? It sounds like without a car if we can make it to Franschhoek we can take the wine train wine tasting in Franschhoek. How would we go wine tasting in Stellenbosch without a car? Should we just pick one of these 2 to go to? Also, what are the evenings like there. If we want to find a watering hole at the end of the day for drinks in the evening, are they available or is it sleepy and everyone goes to bed by 9pm. I am trying to read up on this, but I have limited planning time, so I am hoping for any advice you can provide. IT would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Franschhoek & Stellenbosch with no car and only 1-2 nights

I suggest you stay both nights in one of the towns. In Stellenbosch look at staying in the vicinity of church street, from there you can walk to plenty of restaurants, bars etc. Stellenbosch is an university town, so the nightlife is always buzzing, even when it is holidays. Franschhoek on the other hand is much smaller and a lot quieter, so it really depends on what you are looking for.

For wine touring in Stellenbosch have alook at the vinehopper:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g312673-d1…

http://vinehopper.co.za/

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 40
2. Re: Franschhoek & Stellenbosch with no car and only 1-2 nights

I would recommend to rather stay in Franschoek for 2nights. You can always get a tour from Franschoek to get into Stellenbosch and tour for the day. And when in Franschoek you can make use of the wine tram and explore for the day. As mentioned above Stellenbosch is a university town with loads of youngsters around but if you want some quietness and just to relax then Franschoek is the place to be. You can always arrange a transfer from Cape Town City to Franschoek and then for the departure again back to the Airport form there.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 60
3. Re: Franschhoek & Stellenbosch with no car and only 1-2 nights

I recommend you book a guided wine tour into the winelands for a day. Especially if you don't have a car and if you are based in one town then you don't get to see much of the surrounding area.

If you decide to stay in one town then I guess in your case Stellenbosch would be better as Franschhoek is pretty small and quiet.

Regards

Michelle - Owner - Cape Town Guide

Blackburn
reviews: 12
4. Re: Franschhoek & Stellenbosch with no car and only 1-2 nights

I recommend the Vinehopper been several times excellent going again this Christmas staying in Stellenbosch cannot wait

Austin, TX
reviews: 5
5. Re: Franschhoek & Stellenbosch with no car and only 1-2 nights

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Much appreacited.

Spain
reviews: 8
6. Re: Franschhoek & Stellenbosch with no car and only 1-2 nights

Staying at Hout Bay in November - husband is not a wine drinker (!) but would like to find a full day winery tour that possibly includes chocolates or cheese, and we would like to be part of a small group, rather than just the two of us with a guide, as we feel its more fun. Can anyone recommend a suitable tour company?

Reply to: Franschhoek & Stellenbosch with no car and only 1-2 nights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Franschhoek