We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent stay in Franschhoek

Which Franschhoek hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 22
Recent stay in Franschhoek

We are regular visitors to Franschhoek and recently spent a couple of weeks in the village with some friends from the uk in tow and would like to share a few observations.

Restaurants; Prices have increased considerably since we were last in town (May '09). Service levels seem to have generally improved with Le Bon Vivant and Kalfi's leading the way. We had outstanding meals at Le Bon Vivant, Mon Plaisir, Reuben's, Cafe Bon Bon and Klein Genot. Ici was ok but dull, Topsi''s was as eccentric as ever and Kalfi's was terrific value. Haut Cabriere has now dropped it's tapas style menu and returned to the former portion/half portion concept but was not on form the evening we ate there and their mark-up's on their own wines have got beyond a joke.

Winery's; Rob at Haut Espoir has really worked hard on the bio-diversity theme and if you can book onto one of his fynbos walks you are in for a treat. Jacoline and Johan at My Wyn give a wonderfully informal tutored tasting in a magnificant location. DP at Glenwood (the new chairman of the local winery association) is also in fine form. You get a far more personal experience at these wineries than at most of the bigger names and our friends loved these visits.

New things to do; David Walters, the local master potter is organising regular weekend Raku firings at his studio Roubaix House and two of our party had a great time at one of these.

Local information; Sadly the local information bureau has become little more than a retail outlet selling 'Franschhoek' branded merchandise but there are now two local papers available online (The Month and The Tatler) and I would recommend them both to potential visitors as a good sources of current information on the village http://themonth.co.za/ and htttp://www.franschhoektatler.co.za/

SOUTH AFRICA
1. Re: Recent stay in Franschhoek

thanks for sharing! Any recommendations or comments on accommodation establishments?

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

London
2. Re: Recent stay in Franschhoek

Hi Tanya,

I'm an part-owner of a guest-house in Franschhoek so wouldn't feel comfortable pluging our own business on this forum!

Franschhoek
reviews: 9
3. Re: Recent stay in Franschhoek

Hi Bernie,

An excellent review - our tastes certainly match. I always rate Pierre at Le Bon Vivant as the most under rated chef in the village.

Don of Gable Manor guest house

London
4. Re: Recent stay in Franschhoek

As a follow-up to my original post, David Walters has now put up a page of photos of the Raku firing on his website. Here's the link;

www.davidwalters.co.za/events_raku.html

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 186
5. Re: Recent stay in Franschhoek

Thanks for the update - I share your frustration with the Franschhoek Tourist Bureau!

Manchester, United...
reviews: 39
6. Re: Recent stay in Franschhoek

Yep, not too long to our hols now, really helpful, thanks lots.

Franschhoek
reviews: 9
7. Re: Recent stay in Franschhoek

Hi Bernie & ctrunfree,

What did you find missing from Franschhoek Tourism? My understanding is that the same services are provided as before, but by sharing with the Logo shop they are saving most of the rental which money is better spent on promotions..

London
8. Re: Recent stay in Franschhoek

Hi Don,

This forum is one of the key on-line hubs for giving un-biased information and answering questions on the area to potential visitors. How many posts have there been from the tourism bureau team in the last few years (despite repeated requests)?

I understand your point regarding promotions, but that is what in effect Franschhoek Tourism has become, a PR entity with a merchandising outlet attached. The information services avaialble to tourists on-site are nowhere near as good as they were in the earlier locations.

9. Re: Recent stay in Franschhoek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 13, 2010