We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Drakensberg?

SF, CA
Visiting Drakensberg?

Where is the best place to stay in the Drakensberg Mountains? What are some of your favorite things to do there? What is the best city to fly into from George? Durban or Jo Burg in order to get there?

Thanks for your help.

13 replies to this topic
Northampton, United...
reviews: 31
11. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

Hello and I love the Berg. Just a suggestion. Use Durban and drive up through the Midlands and start in the Southern Berg, somewhere like Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse, if you love food and scenery. Then there is a big choice. The KZN Wildlife managed reserves at Giants Castle and Didima have some great walks. They are well priced and there is a good restaurant on site. If you fancy a resort with excellent walks then Cathedral Peak Hotel is great! Royal Natal is also KZN Wildlife mangaed and run but is self catering only. I stayed there a few years ago and the kikes and scenery are second to none. If you want a couple of options in stunning scenery then Three Tree Hill Lodge & Drakensberg Mountain Retreat are lovely places to stay. If you stay at a 'hotel' then guides are also on offer. Where ever you walk always sign the Mountain hike book. If you wanted a Big 5 game reserve only an hour or so from the northern berg then take a look at Nambiti Game Reserve. We have stayed there a few times and its been excellent. A couple of other things, there is a vulture hide at Giants Castle thats worth a visit and there big cat rehab centre at Nambiti. My wife is from the KZN Midlands so we holiday there at least once a year.

With regard to the post above, self drive is by far the best option. The main roads are good and other than occasional pot holes the off roads are ok.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

South Africa
reviews: 15
12. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

Hi Elizabeth - the "Baz Bus" (google them) is a great way (safe and economical too) of getting around SA - and they do go from Jhb airport (OR Tambo) and stop at "Amphitheater Backpackers" (google them) (about 4 -4,5 hrs) - and from there you can join their organized excursions to the mountains. The Gorge walk to the base of the Amphitheater is lovely and is 2,5 - 3 hrs each way - if you're doing the hike in our summer then make sure you're off the mountains by 3pm latest as we get some pretty wild thunderstorms here. From the Backpackers they also organize trips right up to the top of the Amphitheater - this is a very early start and a full day excursion with quite a bit of driving. BTW - you'll get used to the "wrong" side of the road quite quickly but you'll find it easier if you hire an automatic rather than stick-shift. If you want more upmarket accommodation then give me a shout and I can make some recommendations - kind regards - Simon (by the way - I live in the Northern Drakensberg area and do own a small upmarket lodge here)

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 4
13. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

Jenjane

What time of the year are planning to visit?. Keep in mind weather. We were driving in fog in September it was nerve racking not being able to see more than 10 feet in front of our car.

Reply to: Visiting Drakensberg?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted