We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Addo - eating in the onsite restaurant

Edinburgh
reviews: 9
Addo - eating in the onsite restaurant

Hi

My husband and I are staying in Addo for 2 nights at the end of Jan. Just wondering if the restaurant is ok for dinner and what is the latest time you can make a reservation for? Thinking of doing a sunset gamedrive which looks like it won't get back to camp until 8pm - is this too late to go for dinner??

All help appreciated.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
1. Re: Addo - eating in the onsite restaurant

The food is fine. Not gourmet, pubgood value for money.

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Addo - eating in the onsite restaurant

Hi!

I'd agree with lamlee that the food is OK, but nothing to write home about.

They do take orders after the game drives get in. I think their kitchen is open till 9.00p.m.

Cape Town
3. Re: Addo - eating in the onsite restaurant

Sunset drives are probably about OK. Night drives are too late. You will be the only ones eating while they clean up around you.

When we go to Addo or Kruger we no longer bother to use the restaurants - although, as others say, the food is fine. You have to get up so early to be there when the gates open into the game area at 5:30 or 6:00am (this is when you will get the best game viewing opportunities) that we just cook ourselves something simple in the evening and get to bed. The chalets in Addo have both cookers and microwaves. We have a big breakfast when we get back from our morning game drive around 9:30 - either in the chalet or at the restaurant. Then we pack a big picnic to take out with us for lunch. Addo has a very nice picnic site in the centre of the Game Reserve area.

You can get all the supplies that you need at the Addo shop or bring it in with you, stopping at a supermarket in one of the nearby towns such as Port Elizabeth or Kirkwood..

Manchester, United...
reviews: 44
4. Re: Addo - eating in the onsite restaurant

I'd give Van de Caab suggestion some thought too (as others have said, food in Addo is OK but nothing memorable). Doing a bbq / braai under the stars is one of the highlights for me - the supermarkets in SA tend to be very good too.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
5. Re: Addo - eating in the onsite restaurant

I use Addo for lunch for my guests only because we won't be required to rush back to Port Elizabeth.....but when i do i have to watch the waiters all the time as it seem that the restaurant holds more people than the kitchen can cater for. Try to organise your meals on your own

6. Re: Addo - eating in the onsite restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, June 28, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Addo Elephant National...