We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaside Heights Traffic Meter Scams

Which Seaside Heights hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yardley, PA
reviews: 4
Seaside Heights Traffic Meter Scams

Warning to people visiting Seaside Heights: Don't trust the parking meters! I put sufficient money in the meter to get seven hours of time and confirmed that the meter gave me seven hours. I returned after five hours to an expired meter and a $45 fine.

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
1. Re: Seaside Heights Traffic Meter Scams

your best bet is to come to Municapl Court. My cousin is a Municipal court attorny and has allways told me that the more crowded the court is the better you are to get a deal or dismisal as the prosacuter is desprat to clear cases and seaside sounds like it has a busy court.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 61
2. Re: Seaside Heights Traffic Meter Scams

The only thing that the officer checks is the red flag that goes up when time runs out.

Ocassionally the flag sticks in the up position even though the timer registers the correct amount of time and begins counting down.

There is a phone number on the ticket which you can call to give the meter # and day of the violation. They will check the meter and any other complaints for that day and if it was not working you will not have to pay the fine or go to court.

It would have been best if you had done this immediately. It's not a scam.

Pjk

Yardley, PA
3. Re: Seaside Heights Traffic Meter Scams

Calling them seems like a high risk strategy to me. Remember, we are dealing with an agency that either is incompetent to maintain its meters or has decided that it's better to scam visitors than to collect money from its voters. In fact, it is to the agency's advantage to do nothing when called. Then, if I assume that they are checking on it and wait for them to call me, I miss my court date and the town gets a few hundred extra dollars in court costs and fines.

Remember, this is New Jersey!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
4. Re: Seaside Heights Traffic Meter Scams

Maybe yes and maybe no, but how do you figger I found all this info out? By paying the fine?

Pjk

Yardley, PA
5. Re: Seaside Heights Traffic Meter Scams

Sorry if I sound like I'm venting at you. I appreciate your advice. Knowing my busy schedule, it probably wouldn't work for me (too worried that I'd be hit by the penalties and court costs if I trusted them to check on it and I got too busy to follow through).

Did you have success in your appeal? Was it in Seaside Heights?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
6. Re: Seaside Heights Traffic Meter Scams

There must be 5,000 meters in and around the streets at Seaside and they are all little mechanical clocks, so they malfunction once in a while.

Mine was just besides the Sawmill Saloon on the street. When I came back to put a few more quarters in it I had gotten a ticket yet there was still time on the meter. I put another quarter in it and only then noticed that the red flag was still up. Being me, I waitin 20 - 30 minutes until a Police officer came by. I showed him the meter and he told me what to do, which I have told you.

I called when I got home and the lady told me they had already received complaints about that particular meter. I received a letter within a week. X-Onerated on all counts.

It would be very foolish of you to pay the fine, and if this were a scam, how many posts do you figger would be on this forum?

Pjk

Roselle Park, New...
reviews: 29
7. Re: Seaside Heights Traffic Meter Scams

Also read before you put in the money. For some stupid reason I put in a $20 thinking i would get change back (should have cost 5 or $6) WRONG! I was pretty mad. Make sure you have dollar bills or smaller bills for just the time that you need. It definitely started my day off on the wrong foot.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
8. Re: Seaside Heights Traffic Meter Scams

Are there meters in Seaside that take bills now? I've only seen ones that take quarters.

Pjk

lumberton
9. Re: Seaside Heights Traffic Meter Scams

My daughter had the same problem. We wrote a letter expalining this & said that we would pay the parking fee. The court said we must go to court & wait around all day. I don't have the time. It is a shame that Seaside Heights chooses to rip off its visitors like this!

bohemia n.y.
10. Re: Seaside Heights Traffic Meter Scams

its a scam . the meter definitly didn't work properly. and they said it did.why do they have hoards of ticket givers out there? its to raise revenue. i will never go there again. i will tell everyone i know about it, and post it everywhere.

Get answers to your questions about Seaside Heights