We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to OC this weekend!

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland
reviews: 1
First time to OC this weekend!

We are going to OC for the first time this weekend and staying at the Beach CLub Hotel. I hope it is ok. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to eat, shop, rides, etc... I have three kids 16, 13, 8.

Also - how are the beaches? I heard there was alot of erosion. Do you have go get out early to claim a spot?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Natick, MA
reviews: 2
1. Re: First time to OC this weekend!

I suggest you not over-plan your visit. It'll happen; don't worry! You've got plenty of time to bicycle with the sunrise, eat a hearty breakfast, go to the beach (even smaller beaches have good things going for them), take a long walk on the beach to enjoy watching the little kids at the water's edge, get cleaned up and have a snooze, get some supper somewhere or other (I'm partial to fining food on the boardwalk, but others can make recommendations for sit-down dinners), walk the boards at night to enjoy seeing the other sunburned faces, get in some rides at Gillians, and have a fantastic night's sleep.

Your kids will do just fine on their own with a few bucks in their pockets. They'll experience freedom and safety in OC like very few other places these days. Let them experience being by themselves, as well as enjoying them with you at times. Who knows, if you push them away, they might want to be with you.

Enjoy your weekend, which will probably be the first of many in OC.

- Jim

Long Island
reviews: 41
2. Re: First time to OC this weekend!

As to the beach...be sure to check the tide tables. Incredible how many folks seem to have no idea where they are in the tide cycle when they plop on the beach. You will have no problem at the beach - - it's the most crowded around the life guard so expect that if you want to be right next to the stand.

As to the rest, I have to agree...don't over plan. Mac and Manco is a beloved pizza place with 3 locations of the boardwalk. Johnson's pop corn is the same in pop corn and Carmel corn. Gillians Wonderland Pier amusements are at 6th and the boardwalk and Playland is @ 10 and boardwalk. If your kids like rides, that is where to go. As to other food, fries, hot dogs and lots of other boardwalk fare are everywhere. Yes, give the kids a few bucks and set a meeting time and let them have a ball..OC's boardwalk is a great place for the whole family! You will surely have to play at least 1 game of mini golf!

If you want some restaurant fare off island we'd recommend Charlie's Bar, the Anchorage and the Crab Trap just across the 9th street bridge in Somers Point.

Have a great time and enjoy your weekend!!!

WV
3. Re: First time to OC this weekend!

You'll have a blast! There are some good shops and restaurants close to your hotel. Bob's Grill is close by and they rent bikes and surreys in their parking lot. You can also get a quick bite, including Mallon's sticky buns from a little take-out just down the boardwalk steps next to Bob's (it sits underneath). Ride early and work up an appetite - plus you can see what's along the boardwalk and the ocean.

There has been some erosion, more so to the north. We usually sit to the side of the lifeguard chair towards the flag (marking the swim area), or take our chairs to the water (leave your stuff further up from the water). It looks like the tide will be going out in the morning and coming in during the afternoon, so as the day goes on people will be moving back up the beach. Scope it out when you get there - just walk across the boardwalk. Plus you'll have a pool!

There is plenty to do roaming around and exploring. Congo Falls has an indoor miniature golf course - congofallsgolf.com - which is close to where you're staying. It is a little creepy :) Hopefully the weather will be great, but it's always fun! Some of us will be back down there again next week and we have friends there now!

Ocean City, NJ
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
reviews: 15
4. Re: First time to OC this weekend!

There is a new restaurant Clancy's, which is right on the boardwalk next door to your hotel. I also like the Island Grill in the north end. No restaurants in Ocean City serve alcohol.

Allentown...
reviews: 16
5. Re: First time to OC this weekend!

As for rides for the kids, we like Playland's castaway cove on the boardwalk. Just look for the pirate ship around 10th or 11th and boardwalk. There is also Gillian's Wonderland at the north end of the boardwalk.

Swansboro, North...
reviews: 14
6. Re: First time to OC this weekend!

If you like Italian food, there's one restaurant you need to make sure you visit. It's called Pino's Grille. It's owned and run by Angelo. He's the most amazing chef I've ever run across. The portions are huge so you may want to get a 1/2 portion if you aren't a big eater or super hungry that night. Tell Angelo that Jan and Kathleen from Ohio said hi! Oh and be sure to ask him for one of his Lemoncello's. It's the most amazing dessert ever!

7. Re: First time to OC this weekend!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 29, 2010