We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Newark

Which Newark hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
west virginia
reviews: 3
Driving in Newark

My daughter and I will be traveling to Newark in the spring and commuting to NYC. What is the traffic like trying to get to Newark? I am not used to driving in the city traffic. We are coming in from the Hagerstown Maryland area. What would be the best way in to avoid traffic and would there be less traffic driving on a Sunday vs a weekday?

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 71
1. Re: Driving in Newark

Where are you staying in Newark?

west virginia
2. Re: Driving in Newark

Tat is what I am trying to decide. I want a safe area because we will be by ourselves. I also want somewhere that will have easy access to transportation to the city. I was looking at the Hampton in Harrison because they have a shuttle to the Path train which appears to be the lowest cost for train service to the city. My main concern is driving in to New Jersey and how much traffic to expect.

Edited: 10:55 am, January 07, 2013
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
3. Re: Driving in Newark

Here is a very good site that gives you all the options for staying in New Jersey to visit NYC....it includes transportation info.

www.broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
4. Re: Driving in Newark

I think if your main goal is to see NYC you should stay there. I'm not sure if the Hampton Inn is open. IMO parking in Downtown Newark is just as bad if not worse than parking in Manhattan.

Edited: 1:02 pm, January 07, 2013
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
5. Re: Driving in Newark

Actually a good option for you is The Travel Inn in Manhattan. It is an expensive hotel with free parking. Very near the Lincoln Tunnel and driving into Manhattan is very easy compared to trying to navigate around in the Newark/JerseyCity/Hoboken area.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
6. Re: Driving in Newark

That should be inexpensive!

new jersey
reviews: 41
7. Re: Driving in Newark

How long are you staying for??? Most hotels in NYC will charge you for parking (and like 25-50 dollars a day). this may be a good reason to stay on the Jersey side.

As far as traffic goes, expect your usual rush hour congestion. Depending on where in Newark you'll be staying- Route 21--Mccarter Hwy will get congested very easily.

Feel free to PM me or respond on this thread and I'll fire off other suggestions.

west virginia
8. Re: Driving in Newark

We will be staying for 3 days/2 night most likely and coming during the week so we can go to the Today show in NYC. I am not used to driving in city traffic so I wanted to stay out of the city to avoid as much traffic as possible and take a train or bus into NYC. We will be coming in from Hagerstown MD area, up thru Harrisburg and Allentown area. Just trying to figure out the best town to stay in with access to transporation.

New Jersey
9. Re: Driving in Newark

I would think the Hampton Inn in Harrison with a shuttle to the PATH would be fine, especially if the price is right and you can park there for the duration of the stay. If you are driving, the Hampton is a few blocks off the Harrison exit on Rt. 280 eastbound (the exit just on the other side of the drawbridge - have a look a Google maps).

NJ
reviews: 86
10. Re: Driving in Newark

I think staying in or around Newark is a bad idea. You are not going to be happy or feel safe in any urban hotel in that general area. I'm not saying you won't be safe, becuase you will be if you proceed with apporpriate caution, but you won't FEEL safe.

If your goal is to come up to this area for a while & take public transportation into NYC I suggest you look at some place a bit more suburban like Morristown, New Brunswick or Princeton. All of those towns have cosmopolitan feels but aren't gigantic cities like NY & all are on train lines so you won't have to drive into NYC which can be overwhelming if you have never done it, especially on a weekday.

If you really want to stay in the Newark area, I suggest either the Hilton above Penn Station or the Robert Treat Hotel if you are going to be here during the week. Do not stay in any property located on Routes 1 & 9. The properties out by the airport which are technically in Elizabeth & are near the Jersey Gardens Mall don't have easy trasnportation to the Path or NJ Transit but they are safe, clean & cheap.

Edited: 2:17 pm, February 11, 2013