We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice please

Which Newark hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland uk
reviews: 15
advice please

im on a 20 odd hour layover in newarrk( from orlando to edinburgh) i want to see new york. i land into newark at 10.30pm and fly out at 8pm the next day, what will be the most time efficent way to work it giving me max sightseeing time? remembering we will have our cases. i am happy to pay taxis there and back to manhattan for extra time (anyone know roughly howmuch this will cost) and wheres best to sleep a hotel at the airport or in manhattan.. thanks for any advice you can give

NJ
1. Re: advice please

If it was me, I would get a room at the Marriott right at the airport.

The next day when you check-out, have them hold your luggage for you.

Take the train into NYC, and do your sightseeing. And take the train back.

www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

There is also a airport bus from EWR into Manhattan. www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

scotland uk
2. Re: advice please

thanks for ur advice broadwaynyc,,, i take it the train would be a lot quicker than a taxi,,, what stop would i get off at ,, is it easy done,, im ashamed to say i drive or taxi everywhere so im rubbish and nervous at using public transport especially in such a busy place

NJ
3. Re: advice please

Go to the link I gave you above for the Airtrain information.

If you want to use the taxi, you certainly can. Depending on how many are are you in your group, a taxi might work out cheaper.

And a taxi is definitely more convenient.

Edited: 5:48 pm, October 20, 2012
New Jersey
reviews: 61
4. Re: advice please

The suggestion to stay at the airport is a good one.

If you decide on the train: take the air-train to the Airport station. At the airport station buy a ticket to NY Penn station ($12.50USD) using the NJ Transit trains (Amtrak is more expensive). Use the ticket to pass through to the rail station. Keep the ticket until you reach NYC Penn Station (last stop - do not get off at Newark Penn). The same for returning to the airport - buy the ticket and hold it until you get on the air-train at the airport. The trip is about 30 minutes one way.

Check out the NYC forum for tips on the subway.

Seaside Heights...
reviews: 135
5. Re: advice please

I agree the Marriott on the Newark airport property is a good suggestion. Research any major chain Newark airport Hotel selection and do the same suggested procedure. Sleep there, get up early, store your luggage until you return.

Train is the easiest and fastest but I do understand with only a few hours in NYC you want ot maximize it.

Another transporation alternative is the super shuttle at supershuttle.com

They are focused on transporting airport arriving guest to their hotels. Since you will basically be staying at Newark airport, you can have the super shuttle pick you up at your hotel and transport you to a major hotel in NYC.

For example, you can be dropped off a the Marriott Marquis hotel in NYC. This is directly in Times Square. You can pick up one of those tourist jump on/jump off type buses there.

The key is pick the area of NYC you want to be in and get transport directly there. You have very limited time.

Have a great time!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 14
6. Re: advice please

Three comments:

First, though I completely agree with the recommendation to take the train, a taxi from the Marriott to NYC will be more convenient but, depending on time of day (eg, morning rush going into the city), may take longer.

Second, you will not be able to get a taxi back to the Marriott from NYC. NYC taxis are not required to take you anywhere in NJ except Newark Airport

Third: Super Suttle generally gets terrible reviews http://www.yelp.com/biz/supershuttle-astoria

scotland uk
7. Re: advice please

thanks everyone for your advice,,, im going to go with the airport hotel and get up super early and do the airport train route,,,hopefully ill be able to fit in a few sights then catch train back to airport , taxi to hotel then collect bags head to aiport,, ill be exhausted but it will be worth it ,,,i can sleep on the plane! if i aim to be in manhattan for 8am i can leave at 4pm be back at airport for 5pm then get my flight at 8pm,,,, does this timescale sound reasonable?

NJ
8. Re: advice please

Most of the hotels near the airport have free shuttle service, so you won't need a taxi from EWR to the hotel or the hotel to EWR.

Edited: 11:53 am, October 24, 2012
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 14
9. Re: advice please

If you're at Penn Station in NYC (34th street and 7th avenue) at 4:00 PM you'll be at the airport by 4:30 PM no trouble

Scotland
reviews: 101
10. Re: advice please

We tried to do the same as you - so a few suggestions - The Marriot Hotel at Newark airport is the place to stay for sure, nice rooms, good bar with food and arrival/departure screens in the lobby. You can walk to it across the car park from main international arrival terminal (B?). The Airtrain to NJ transit station is easy and a 30min ride into New York Penn Station, so far so good, have a list of what you'd like to see in your time and do as much as you can. The New Yorkers are so friendly and helpful at giving directions, from NY Penn we walked uphill to visit The Rock and got our bearings. My only word of caution is that when we got back to NY Penn we had difficulty in finding the line for NJ Transit and as we'd only got a single in from Newark had to find a ticket machine and managed to buy a ticket back to only Penn, they wouldn't let us enter the airport with this ticket and we had to buy another to get through, with hindsight we should have bought a return.

Fortunately, with our jetlag, we were awake bright and early for our onward flight from Newark because the queues for security were massive, we were queueing in lines in narrow corridors where we couldn't even see the start of the queue so please allow plenty of time for this to save your blood pressure, it's easy to go for a coffee once you are through.

Have a lovely time seeing New York and if you only get to see 2 or 3 things on your to-do list it will give you an idea of what you'd like to see next time you visit.

Anna