We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

storage for summer

Which Jersey City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 19
storage for summer

HI there. We're from Singapore and attending our daughter's graduation from DCAD in May in Wilmington, DE. She will continue her studies at Pratt or Parsons in NYC come Fall. We need to find a storage co that will collect her boxes from DCAD, store them and then transport them to NYC when she starts in Fall. Any advice on this? I was thinking of renting a car in Wilmington and then dropping her boxes at a storage co in Jersey City before I return the car there. That way she can collect them when she moves into her univ in Fall. Comments? Thanks!

NJ
1. Re: storage for summer

If only a few boxes, a minivan would work. Anymore, then you'll need to rent a the smallest U-Haul truck.

ny
reviews: 31
2. Re: storage for summer

Depending on how many you are talking - consider a pod

http://www.pods.com/

You can pack it they store it and they deliver where ever.

Or you could pay a mover to move them to a storage unit near her school.

If not, your idea sounds good - definitely cheaper.

Good luck

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
reviews: 3
3. Re: storage for summer

I'm confused. your daughter is moving from Delaware to NYC and wants to store her stuff In New Jersey?

Singapore, Singapore
4. Re: storage for summer

Thanks for all the responses. Will check out the links provided.

Let me explain, my daughter will be transferring from Wilmington DE to a univ in NYC. But for summer while waiting to see which univ will accept her, she has to move out of her college in Willmington. She'll be spending summer in Toronto. So she needs storage for her bulky items (comforter, winter clothes, crockery etc) from May-Aug. I thought of New Jersey, somewhere near to Newark airport where she'll be flying to and from Toronto. Will this work best? But if we can find a storage co which can collect her stuff from Wilmington, store it and then deliver to NYC when she knows where she'll be staying, that will be the least painless for us. Thanks again.

NJ
5. Re: storage for summer

Any of the moving companies in Wilmington can store her items at their warehouse and then transport them to NYC or wherever she ends up, BUT this will *not* be cheap. You need to contact them for a quote. For a local move I made last year, I was charged $100/hour for 4 men. I don't know how much storage will cost.

PODS, U-Pack (www.upack.com), or Pack Rat (www.1800packrat.com) are options where you pack your own stuff, they store, and they deliver it. However, this may be a problem in NYC since you will need a place to put the container.

I personally would rent a minivan, pack the boxes well, and leave them a self-storage place in NJ. On your daughter's return, rent another minivan and she moves them to her new home. This approach assumes all her belongings will fit into a minivan.

Edited: 9:23 am, April 07, 2011
Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: storage for summer

Thanks for yr advice.

7. Re: storage for summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, October 26, 2012