We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi at night from lower Manhattan to Hoboken

Which Hoboken hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for French Riviera - Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
25 reviews
Taxi at night from lower Manhattan to Hoboken

I will be in New York City next weekend and will be looking to buy a place, possibly in Hoboken. We have a grandchild on the way and want to be closer to my daughter who lives in lower Manhattan (Houston and Bowery). I know this is a travel site, but I will be a traveler next week and a few thereafter! ;-) I hope you will forgive me for asking this question. I am a frequent contributor on TA and I know this is isn't a site to help me with a real estate choice.

I am trying to get a handle on transportation between Hoboken and lower Manhattan and will be giving it a run next week. I understand the "Path" train and Metro connections in Manhattan, but I'm thinking I will need a late night travel plan if don't want to take a late night subway. My daughter was concerned that there might not be taxi service to Hoboken, especially in the evening. I tried "Taxi" on HopStop and got "Route not available" when I entered my daughter's address, and for Hoboken, I used "908 Washington St." I saw that there seemed to be a good restaurant, Amanda's, at that address, so I just used it as a random entry.

Thank you for being patient with me!

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
9,879 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Taxi at night from lower Manhattan to Hoboken

You might be able to get a more predictable fare from lower Manhattan to Buffalo than you would to Hoboken. (different states). I would also try looking in Manhattan as well.

lehigh valley
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Taxi at night from lower Manhattan to Hoboken

The reason hop stop did not work is that there are no fixed fares between New York City and NJ. The fare would be whatever you and the cab driver would negotiate (assuming they are willing to take you at all).

Your better move would be to book a car service

lehigh valley
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Taxi at night from lower Manhattan to Hoboken

For a sample car service rate, Allstate's website gives a fare of $45 for a sedan from East Houston to the Washington St address you quoted. Add in tolls and tips and you are probably looking at roughly $65

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Taxi at night from lower Manhattan to Hoboken

We're used to using 666 and 777 from the Newark airport, and it looks like our options would be similar. From the three NYC area airports, we've actually found that car service fares aren't that far off from taxis, and that's how we usually choose to travel, so this can still work. We're also looking in Brooklyn, but we've heard such great things about Hoboken. My worry is that, at times, I might be traveling alone and need to get back to our condo after dinner in the city, but Hoboken is still on our list! As often as this might happen, we'd be okay with public transportation into the city and car service home. We'll still be living in Kentucky, so this might average to once a month.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Taxi at night from lower Manhattan to Hoboken

How late are you talking about when you say, "late night"?

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Taxi at night from lower Manhattan to Hoboken

10 -11 pm...that's late for me!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Taxi at night from lower Manhattan to Hoboken

That's not late. You have nothing to worry about on PATH. Really!

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Taxi at night from lower Manhattan to Hoboken

Thank you!

Edited: 11:00 pm, May 21, 2014
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
181 reviews
9. Re: Taxi at night from lower Manhattan to Hoboken

Agree. I used to take the PATH late night alone- much later than what you are talking about- and was fine.

BTW, My husband lived in Hoboken for several years before we got married. I liked visiting him because there are lots of restaurants and bars and it is so easy to get into the city via Path or ferry. He liked it but never as much as when he lived in Manhattan. Brooklyn is great, too. You have a couple of amazing options.

10. Re: Taxi at night from lower Manhattan to Hoboken

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, June 27, 2015