We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan

Which Hoboken hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan

Hi -

We will be traveling to NY on 05/15 for 3 nights and are looking for a less expensive alternative to staying in Manhattan. VERY FEW Manhattan hotels are available for under $300/night (after you add in the taxes and parking - we are traveling by car). I would like to find something convenient to shuttle or other transportation into NY. Any "pros" out there with some good suggestions? Thanks.

10 replies to this topic
Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
reviews: 3
1. Re: Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan

I think if your main goal is to see NYC stay in NYC. IMO parking in Hoboken is just as bad if not worse than parking in Manhattan,

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 79
2. Re: Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan

Here is a summary of various places to stay in New Jersey with transportation info.

www.broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/

Just remember that you will need to add transportation costs to your daily budget.

You really should try to stay in NYC .

There is one hotel in Manhattan with free parking....The Travel Inn.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 15
3. Re: Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan

You're coming from where via what roads?

And did you check the Travel Inn www.thetravelinnhotel.com/default.aspx… which includes parking and the Skyline which has very reasonable parking for gests http://www.skylinehotelmanhattan.com/

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
4. Re: Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan

I would also suggest posting your dates of travel, budget & parking requirements on the NYC forum to see what they can come up with - they can find great deals sometimes

Hackensack, New...
5. Re: Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan

HI- Fort Lee is the town right before the George Washington Bridge. DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge is currently charging $199/ night or the Hilton in Hasbrouck Heights about 15minutes from the city they are chargin $129/ night. I hope this helps.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
6. Re: Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan

Fort Lee isn't a bad choice but know that if you stay in Fort Lee you would want to drive into Manhattan (because public transit won't work getting back to the hotel) -- which is not hard to do at all from there, I do it all the time. Parking will run around 30-40/day in Manhattan, maybe even less, + $13 toll to go across the bridge

reviews: 1
7. Re: Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan

Well, there will be two of us (seniors - "old" folks) that will be arriving, by car, from Philadelphia on 05/15 and leaving (heading north to Boston on 05/18. We are trying to stay in New Jersey in order to avoid the expensive Manhattan hotels and the $40+/day parking charges. We would like to find a hotel that either has a shuttle, close to public transportation or is a stop for "tourist" tour buses. As we are "old" folks, we limited mobility when it comes to walking long distances ... so, the HOHO type of tours would be best for us.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
8. Re: Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan

I'd suggest posting your budget along with those details on the NYC forum. The general advice about staying in NJ is to find something in Jersey City that is walkable to the PATH subway system which runs between NJ and NYC. But depending on how impaired your mobility it there could still be a lot of walking plus I think these hotels charge for parking.

Another option is parking in NJ and taking the ferry into NYC, btw.

One less expensive option is to stay in one of the Harmon Meadows hotels in Secaucus (link below) as they have free parking and are generallly less expensive to begin with but this means you will be taking a bus into NYC. This is very doable and if you check reviews of the hotels on the link below you'll see people discussing how that commute worked -- but it's not optimal and you won't be able to get back to your hotel in the afternoon to rest up then go out again because the afternoon rush hour

http://www.harmonmeadow.com/map/HMmap.pdf

If you really do need to avoid lots of walking, and if you dont' want to rely on subways, which means stairs + walking, then I have to agree with AERULES that you should stay in Manhattan and pay those ridiculous rates. But really, post your dates & budget on the NYC forum and see what they come up with

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 79
9. Re: Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan

Did you check out any of the hotels on the site I gave you?

www.broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/

or the Travel Inn in Manhattan?

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 125
10. Re: Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan

There is no need to hire a car to see the cities on your list. These three. Cities are connected by frequent fast train service via Amtrak. I would strongly advise taking the Train instead of driving which will then eliminate the expense and hassle of renting a car and parking it. Fyi driving between these cities is not pleasant

Reply to: Nice / Relatively Inexpensive / Alternative to Manhattan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted