We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carlos Bake Shop

Which Hoboken hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 73
Carlos Bake Shop

Looking for some help and info please - we are travelling to NY between 10th and 17th Feb and very much want to visit the bake shop we are travelling for my birthday with friends

Would like to order a celebration cake - single tear for around 6-8 people - vanilla sponge cake - any idea roughly of prices??

If we order a cake how far in advance would I need to order?

Would there be abetter day to visit and if we order a cake can we skip the queue line??

thanks in advance for your help

J

13 replies to this topic
new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 2
1. Re: Carlos Bake Shop

It seems you can easily get your questions answered directly by contacting them, or from their website:

http://carlosbakery.com/Home.php

Happy travels & birthday

Sussex, New Jersey
reviews: 1
2. Re: Carlos Bake Shop

You definitely want to order a cake. Otherwise, you may have to wait up to 3 hours in line. When you get to the bakery, go to the front door and tell the "doorman" that you have ordered a cake. He will let you right in and will instruct you to go to the back counter to pick it up. You will be able to purchase any other items you wish at that time. But don't be in a hurry...expect your purchase and transaction to take at least a half an hour to an hour...and don't enter if you have claustrophobia...it is packed with shoppers! You should call the bakery (not the website) for information about the cake you want. They will take your order and payment over the phone. All you have to do is tell them your name when you pick up your cake. Enjoy your visit to Carlo's. It is an amazing place!

nyc
reviews: 78
3. Re: Carlos Bake Shop

If you are coming on a day and hour while the kids are at school you shouldn't have much of a problem. I ran in last Tuesday at noon and believe it or not the locals out numbered the tourists!

They keep a bunch of birthday cakes in the display case for same day purchase. They will personalize it for you. It doesn't hurt to order ahead though.

If you plan to visit on a weekend, close to any holiday or during school break than get there early in the morning. During the summer months you can wait up to four hours to get in. No joke four hours.

Edited: 9:13 pm, February 03, 2011
4. Re: Carlos Bake Shop

Hi carlos bake shop it is possible to train a baker from south africa how to do cakes.I just started to watch your show last week on dstv in south africa.now I am intrested in how you do your cakes.how much can be a course for training including accommodation I can be pleased with your reply.from Bongani Theophilus Nkosi.e

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
reviews: 3
5. Re: Carlos Bake Shop

Dude this isn't a place for Carlos to respond.

New York City, New...
reviews: 111
6. Re: Carlos Bake Shop

I live in Hoboken and I walk by the shop everyday. Weekends are a nightmare (you may wait up to 3 hours to walk in), but weekdays are much better. Also, the best time to go to the shop is early in the morning before hoards of tourists from NY descend upon the shop.

Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 73
7. Re: Carlos Bake Shop

We visited the bakery last feb with no wait line at all. Got buddy's autograph for our daughter and some cookies which survived their trip back to scotland!!!

We are returning to NYC for Christmas and new year with our daughter who is 11yrs and she really wants to visit the shop. Any good or bad time to visit during the holiday season? Staying 22dec to 3rd jan.

Houston
reviews: 44
8. Re: Carlos Bake Shop

We tried to get in to purchase something and the wait was well over an hour - but this was fine with my girls. Then, once inside, the place is tiny and the staff is disorganized. The kid at the door lets in people that schmooze him - that was so frustrating and people were arguing because of that. We finally left with nothing but a really bad taste in our mouth for a guy that has a bakery, has a tv show but has no idea how to handle the 'fans'. It wouldn't be that hard to organize his front shop to make it smooth and please the fans that have helped make him a household name.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 2
9. Re: Carlos Bake Shop

Another example of the famous mistaken P T Barnum quote: “There’s a sucker born every minute”?

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 58
10. Re: Carlos Bake Shop

Thank you, easydave, I was trying to think of an appropriate response....that was perfect!

Reply to: Carlos Bake Shop
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted