We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which day to hire a car?

Which Elizabeth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
reviews: 28
Which day to hire a car?

Hi,

The wife and I want to get out of the city for a day, me to see some of greater New York/Jersey, Mrs to do some shopping at Woodbury Common.

It's as cheap for us to hire a car (with all insurances and a tank of fuel) as it is to take the bus, so we are inclined to do this for the flexibility.

We only have the Friday and Saturdays to spare in our schedules - is one day better than the other for general traffic?

Many thanks,

Matt.

Bristol, United...
1. Re: Which day to hire a car?

p.s. in case it's relevant, we'll be staying in the Casablanca off Times Square and using the dollar depot at 263 west 52nd street.

NJ
2. Re: Which day to hire a car?

Unless you are more specific about what exactly you want to see more of in NJ, that you can't get to by public transportation, you don't need a car just to do shopping at Woodbury Commons. There are buses that run there from Port Authority Bus Terminal (42nd and 8th Avenue).

Bristol, United...
3. Re: Which day to hire a car?

As I mentioned in my post, it's nothing to do with lack of services, but that we had might as well have a car to come and go as we please rather than being tied to public transport

NJ
4. Re: Which day to hire a car?

As long as you don't have to pay overnight parking then you will be fine.

Like with other cities, traffic Friday rush hour is bad. Avoid being on the road 4-7pm.

You posted this on the NJ forum but Woodbury Commons is in NY.

Work, Beach or...
reviews: 5
5. Re: Which day to hire a car?

matt - Depending on which direction you want to head, you could also shop at the Outlets in Seacaucus, NJ. There's a train station right there - ask at the Times Square Visitor Center or at Penn Station. There's also another outlet center in Elizabeth, just across from Newark Airport. It's called Jersey Gardens, you can get info and directions from their website: www.JerseyGardens.com.

If you're adventurous, head to the Ironbound section of Newark for some fabulous Portuguese food.

There are a lot of good day trips/sights; but I would hesitate to go south on a Saturday due to heavy traffic.

Have fun!

LuvBreezes

Bristol, United...
6. Re: Which day to hire a car?

Thanks ever so for the tips - I didn't realise I navigated away from NYC forums when I posted this so have posted the original post there!

7. Re: Which day to hire a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 12, 2009