We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?

Which Cape May hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 9
Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?

I'm surprised that there isn't more discussion about restaurants and one of my favorite things to do on vacation is eat! Other than 410 Bank, Black Duck and maybe the Washington Inn I

'm stumped for other good options. We like everything from fancy to very laid back as long as the food is great and you can get reservations-which is one reason we probably won't try the Lobster House in July. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

21 replies to this topic
Cape May, New Jersey
reviews: 21
1. Re: Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?

The Merrion Inn. Very cosy, nice bar, excellent food and deserts, live piano in dining/bar area. Casual dressy.

The best scallops to be had at Mayer's Bar. Very, very casual. Down and dirty. No 'atmosphere', pool table and juke box. Little outside deck. Across from dock at foot of CM Bridge.

Cape May, New Jersey
2. Re: Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?

Check the green tool bar at top of this page to search restaurant reviews.

Glenwood, NJ
reviews: 48
3. Re: Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?

Sadly, the aforementioned Merion Inn (one of our favorites) does not have an opening date for 2014 as of this writing. An explanation can be found on their web page ....but from the looks of it, it doesn't appear they will be opening in the immediate future.

Glenwood, NJ
reviews: 48
4. Re: Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?

As for recommendations? Look into the Pier House (corner of Beach and Pittsburgh) , Peter Shields, Tisha's and Oyster Bay (across form the Acme). And, if you're Jeff Dunham, that would be right across from the Achmed.

New Jersey
5. Re: Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?

Kathryn, I did of course, read the restaurant list but my experience is that the reviews posted do not accurately reflect the general consensus. Also, eateries seem to fall in and out of favor constantly. I will check out the other suggestions. thanks

North Cape May, Nj
6. Re: Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?

My favorite is Harbor View on Ocean Drive. They have a very good menu and usually offer interesting specials. For casual dining, they have outdoor seating on a deck overlooking the harbor. I am the exception in that I did not care for most of the dining in Cape May that we tried. We enjoy Italian and travel into Wildwood or Egg Harbor Twp. when choosing that cuisine. The Lobster House is OK, but weekends during the Summer are out of the question.

Almost forgot to mention that Harbor View does not take reservations, but still worth a try, IMO.

Edited: 11:25 am, May 08, 2014
Branford...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?

i'm certainly not an expert on cape may itself, but i do enjoy good food! with that being said, i recommend the mad batter for dinner. we ate their on our trip last fall i thought the food was very good. i also ate ate oyster house and found it to be somewhat overrated.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
reviews: 5
8. Re: Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?

McGlades on the beach is very nice & the Blue Pig at Congress Hall.

Rockaway, New Jersey
reviews: 42
9. Re: Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?

We really enjoy Cape May Fish Market in the Washington Street Mall. I know it gets mixed reviews here but we have eaten there many times and have never had a bad meal. The scallops are the best in Cape May in my opinion!

Cape May, New Jersey
10. Re: Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?

Aleathes has a dynamite oyster appetizer with a special sauce over it. Not sure when they open for season.

Reply to: Restaurants-what's the latest scoop?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted