We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale and dolphin watching tour and some questions....

Which Cape May hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whale and dolphin watching tour and some questions....

Hello,

We are going to spend a day in Cape May / albert Stevens Inn next august.

We are interested in a dolphin tour, salt marsh safari or similar ...can anybody recommend a special tour and where do they start? Its our sons 16.th birthday and we would like to make it special:)

Furthermore..... Any suggestions for a nice open air , not too formal restaurant with a nice atmosphere? If possible in walking distance from albert stevens inn?

Thanks for your help

Flosse

port republic
reviews: 7
1. Re: Whale and dolphin watching tour and some questions....

there is a whale/dolphin watch boat that will go offshore. there is a back bay safari boat called the Osprey at the Miss Chris marina. there are also kayac rentals near there for back bay tours.

the CMBO site birdcapemay.org has links to everything

you'll need more than a day.

lehigh valley
reviews: 9
2. Re: Whale and dolphin watching tour and some questions....

Can't help on the tours since we have not taken one in over 10 years, other than to say that you will most definately see dophins and almost certainly NOTsee whales

For outdoor dining. The best ambiance my be the outdoor seating at the Lobster House which has a nice view of the harbor. The two disadvantages will be the wait, which in August could easily be an hour or more (they do not take reservations) and the fact that the seafood is not that special.

The Blue Pig at Congress Hall has a nice outdoor space serving pub type food The space faces inland so no water views.

There are at least 4 restaurants on the Washington Street Mall with sidewalk seating .They are, in decliniing order of fanciness;

Tishas

Cape May Fish Market

Jackson Mountain

Ugly Mug

In all cases your view would be of the attractive pedestrian mall the other quaint shops there and the. hordes of shoppers.

Finally our favoite outside dining is the Sunset Grill at Sunset Beach, Nice view of the bay beach, the concrete ship and (often) dolphins. Menu is pretty much limited to Hambergers, hot dogs and deep fried food.

None of these are very close to Albert Stevens. Blue Pig would be the closest

Edited: 12:55 pm, February 26, 2013
lehigh valley
3. Re: Whale and dolphin watching tour and some questions....

PS. I can't believe I forgot Mad Batter. Nice seating on their porch with a nice view of Jackson Street. Their breakfast(which is served through lunch hour) is better than their Lunch/dinner entrees, in my opinion.

port republic
4. Re: Whale and dolphin watching tour and some questions....

If you scroll down through the older Cape May forum posts there are some detailed discussions on the dolphin boats and the dining options

enjoy

North Cape May, Nj
5. Re: Whale and dolphin watching tour and some questions....

http://www.capemaywhalewatch.com/

http://www.capemaywhalewatcher.com/

Click on above link. We usually take both tours every year. Entertainment Book always offers buy one get one free coupons.

Lobster House is close to the docks where these boats launch.

6. Re: Whale and dolphin watching tour and some questions....

Thanks a lot!

How long in advance should we buy the tickets? The day before would be okay?

Where can I get this entertainment book?

Is it necessary to make a reservation for the lewes ferry?

Thanks for your help!

port republic
7. Re: Whale and dolphin watching tour and some questions....

It is helpful to have a reservation for the ferry for weekends in the summer but ussually not essential. If you are pretty certain as to your schedule it is worthwhile. Keep in mind that the ferry ride itself will often encounter dolphins, so stay on deck with your binoculars. The ferry Captain will not change his course to afford better views of dolphins.

You can google the entertainment book and get it online, make sure you get the right edition. as for the tour boat, talk with the captain, if you can just walk on without a prepurchased ticket that is best. maybe you can make a reservation. check cancilation policy in case of bad weather

North Cape May, Nj
8. Re: Whale and dolphin watching tour and some questions....

I just noticed that you will only be in Cape May for a day. The South Jersey edition of the Entertainment Book would come in real handy for a longer stay. As it is, the Cape May Whale and Dolphin Research Center 2 1/2 hour trip costs $35.00 pp. Not sure how much you would pay for the book since you would be a new subscriber. I paid less than $20 with free shipping. Just Google Entertainment Book for info. I suggest that you make a reservation for the ferry and the dolphin boat a day in advance. Hope that your schedule will allow both.. If not, my preference would be the dolphin boat.

9. Re: Whale and dolphin watching tour and some questions....

Thanks for all information.

After our stay in cm we go to chincoteague island, so we will definitivly take the ferry.....

cape may, nj
reviews: 13
10. Re: Whale and dolphin watching tour and some questions....

capemaywhalewatcher is located behind 5 de Mayo Restuarant between the little bridge and big bridge going out of town at the Miss Chris Marina. Usually you will see Dolphins, but several whales were spotted this year. We took it to see the Atlantic City Air Show last summer and saw a whale on the way.