We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

Which Cape May hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
reviews: 117
Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

I was surprised to see that the Periwinkle Inn will be featured on Hotel Impossible.

We never stayed there, but from the outside it looks like a nice place. It also gets mostly good reviews here on TA.

Apparently they must be having problems to be featured on the show. I can't wait to see what they did!

For those interested, the show is on the Travel Channel at 10pm. Here is a link to see some pictures from the show:

travelchannel.com/tv-shows/hotel-impossible/…

Houston, TX
reviews: 1
11. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

Here's an article about the hotel after the show's taping had been finished. Puts into context (at least from the owner's perspective) why the changes were not accepted by them.

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/article/people/cape+may/89786-tv%E2%80%99s+hotel+impossible+does+makeover+periwinkle+inn

Edited: 6:08 pm, January 30, 2013
Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 40
12. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

I made your link into a tinyurl

http://tinyurl.com/periwinkle-inn

Allentown, PA
reviews: 9
13. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

I am surprised that the owners think this was a positive thing for their motel. I do not think they came off in a good way at all and would never stay at this motel having seen this episode. The article did not mention that they got a bunch of free pool towels out of the deal, amazing that they had never offered them to their guests in the past!

Pennsylvania
14. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

Interesting article, thanks for posting it. Sounds like the entire makeover was a total waste of time on everybody's part.

Looking online at the pictures of the rooms, they look nice enough to me. Nothing fancy but typical of most Jersey shore motel rooms. I've stayed next door at the Atlas (now the Ocean Club) and the grounds at the Periwinkle were always neat and well maintained. Outside of the dreadful lobby, the place looked OK to me.

I think they should accept credit cards but they're not the only motel in Cape May that doesn't accept them. I wouldn't like to carry a large amount of cash but if I really wanted to stay there it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 19
15. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

I ended up DVRing the program and finally watched the episode last night.

There must be other motels in Cape May that needed Hotel Impossible's help more than the Periwinkle Inn and the owner seemed to need or want. I've stayed in a number of different motels on Beach Ave. over the years and the Periwinkle appeared to be no better or worse than any of them, in my humble opinion. Except for Congress Hall, the other small motels where we've stayed didn't accept credit cards, the front desk people weren't particularly friendly or unfriendly, and most had the types of signs that the host of the program said were "yelling at" guests. One motel had "DO NOT ______" signs everywhere-- even signs at the elevator telling guests not to push the elevator button over and over. I guess I assumed that was the norm!

I ended up sort of feeling sorry for the owner. I can imagine that the Periwinkle is her "baby"-- her identity-- and her whole life-- after running it for 40 years, and for the host to start tearing apart the front desk area with his bear hands was unnecessarily hurtful and obviously intended for dramatic effect. Naturally, someone in her position would have blind spots after so many years, and that lobby definitely needed help, but I wish there'd been a better way to do it so time and money hadn't been wasted in the makeover.

I'm not sure the rooms are worth what they're charging during high season, although they're probably comparable to similar motels on Beach Ave. for their level of amenities and ocean views. (And that's why we can afford and also enjoy Cape May mainly in the off-season!) I found their website here: http://www.periwinkleinn.com/index.html and was interested to see that they have no photos of the rooms. It does advertise "Brand New Rooms for 2013" on the home page so maybe that's why.

I'll be keeping an eye out on TripAdvisor for future reviews to see how the Periwinkle is doing as a result of all this publicity.

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 20
16. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

I'll be keeping a close eye on their Tripadvisor reviews this summer! I think this episode was a good wake up call for the other hotel owners as well. Just because you have a guaranteed beautiful view and location doesn't mean that you can treat your patrons rudely or cheaply. Some of us are hard working people who save up all year to visit these places and if we don't have a good time at their establishment... that's it. I realize there are a lot of nasty clients out there as well, but successful customer service folk have to suck that up and rise above it.

You would think if the Periwinkle's owners were serious about improving their business, not only would they post photos of their renovation process on their Facebook page, but they would also address their negative feedback in a respectful manner there. I saw a lot of excuses flying on their page and deletion of comments. I give this a big "we'll see"... but I'm really not impressed now.

Garland, Texas
17. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

I would love to see pictures of what they did to change the lobby after the crue of Hotel Impossible lefted!! What does it look like now?!! Soooo curious to know....

Garland, Texas
18. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

I would love to see pictures of what they did to change the lobby after the crue of Hotel Impossible lefted!! What does it look like now?!! Soooo curious to know....

Pennsylvania
19. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

We'll be going down in June and we're staying within walking distance of the Periwinkle. I plan on walking over to see what the lobby looks like.

North Cape May, Nj
reviews: 10
20. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

Be sure to make a "pit stop" before going. lol. I came across this show last night. Comcast On Demand. Since I am a local, I do not stay in Cape May hotels, so cannot compare Perriwinkle to others. IMO, the owners were not

suited to deal with the public. The hotel is in financial trouble and they think that they still know more than the experts who gave them excellent advice. It's tough to run a business if you have not had the proper schooling, especially in customer relations.