We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

Which Cape May hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
reviews: 94
Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

I was surprised to see that the Periwinkle Inn will be featured on Hotel Impossible.

We never stayed there, but from the outside it looks like a nice place. It also gets mostly good reviews here on TA.

Apparently they must be having problems to be featured on the show. I can't wait to see what they did!

For those interested, the show is on the Travel Channel at 10pm. Here is a link to see some pictures from the show:

travelchannel.com/tv-shows/hotel-impossible/…

Philadelphia...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

Thanks for the heads up-- I'll be watching! I recently saw an ad for Hotel Impossible on the Travel Channel and thought I recognized a photo of the Periwinkle Inn with the program's host standing in front of it, but it didn't mention the motel by name. Glad to know my eyes didn't deceive me. It's rated #17 of 43 motels reviewed in Cape May on TA, so will be interesting to see why they needed Hotel Impossible to work with them.

When I was a kid in the 60's, my parents stayed at the Periwinkle, then known as "The Stockholm" motel. It had a coffee shop on the left (viewing it from the boardwalk across the street) and I remember enjoying the pool's sliding board and my sister and brother and I played shuffle board for the first time there. The Grand Hotel hadn't been built yet and I remember seeing the World War II lookout tower set in the middle of a grassy field (and it's now inside the Grand Hotel) near The Stockholm.

NJ
reviews: 78
2. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

I watched it and would not give them my business.

WI
reviews: 64
3. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

At the end of the show it states the owner did not like the redecorated lobby and changed it (probably put all the horrible plastic plexi glass back up!). The owners do not seem very interested in growing the business. I do not feel I would give them my business.

Charlevoix...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

I can't believe the owners scrapped the beautiful new room decor to go back to the old ugly flower bedspreads, etc. They are totally clueless!

Pennsylvania
5. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

LornaDune - What wonderful memories you have of your childhood!

My childhood memories, also in the 60's & 70's, were of Wildwood. I looked forward every August to spending a week with my parents in North Wildwood. We always stayed in an apartment type place that is long gone. The Montego Bay resort now occupies the property.

When I got older I found Cape May and I'm so glad that I did. I wouldn't want to vacation anywhere else!

Edited: 4:52 am, January 29, 2013
Pennsylvania
6. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

TravelWII - That lobby was horrible! It was an awful mishmash of odd furniture and decor. They really did a nice job of redecorating it and making it much more inviting. What a shame they weren't happy with it. I couldn't believe the owner was so upset over the change to that plexiglass cage - what an eye sore that was.

I agree that the owners didn't seem all that involved with trying to improve the situation. Their attitude turned me off. They came across like they were doing the show a favor and not the other way around.

I checked their website this morning. It says that they don't accept credit cards during high season. That makes no sense to me. I loved the comment Anthony made about hotels that take cash only as "one hour" motels.

Pennsylvania
7. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

Sue 483 - The room that the crew made over turned out beautiful. They made the room cozy and inviting. Judging by the reaction of the owners when they saw it I knew that the other 49 rooms would never get such an extensive makeover.

So, the motel now offers pool towels to their guests. I found it odd that the mother stated she always wanted to have pool towels. Are towels that expensive that they were never offered before?

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 17
8. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

I watched the show last night as well. I had always thought that place looked inviting. I couldn't imagine why it would show up on a show like Hotel Impossible, but now I can certainly see why. The owners are so stubborn and backward that they really don't care about the success of their business. Wow. I'm just stunned that they would redo the Lobby renovation!

I had once considered staying there, but I don't think so now. I'll wait until it has new owners that care about keeping the place updated and their patrons happy.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
reviews: 5
9. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

I'm sorry I missed the show, will there be a rerun. I stayed there back in the 80 for one or two nights and as I recall the rooms were not memorable. It needed up dating then. The outside is cute and I guess the owner are set in there ways.

conn
reviews: 28
10. Re: Periwinkle Inn on Hotel Impossible tonight

the show should repeat next Monday at 11:00pm

Get answers to your questions about Cape May