We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to cape may- where to stay for comfort anbirding?

Which Cape May hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
fairfax
reviews: 43
First trip to cape may- where to stay for comfort anbirding?

We are planning our first visit/s to Cape May. We want to go once in the spring and once in the winter. We are not b& b people...we tried! Really we did, we wanted to be b& b people but we just aren't....

So we are looking for somewhere to stay that is close to good birding...and has a comfortable bed....that's all we really need. A polite staff, and decent view would be a bonus...any reccomendations? Thanks TAs.

Cape May, New Jersey
reviews: 8
11. Re: First trip to cape may- where to stay for comfort anbirding?

Suggest you take a look at www.BirdCapeMay.org and click on their Places to Eat, Shop, Stay, and Play link for a listing of all their business supporters. And all the information you'll need to go birding, too!

Word has it that modest accommodations and great beds can be found at The Blue Fish Inn. If your budget allows, check out the LaMer with waterfront views . After all, you'll need to relax a bit after all that birding!

If you want more than just a bed, try Summer Station which is like a condo but better. Bedroom, fully equipped kitchen, nice living room and a washer & dryer in the unit! Perfect for those who don't want to "eat out" for every meal.

Hope this helps. Cape May is a wonderful place and the folks at the Cape May Bird Observatory are always glad to help with any suggestions - whether birding, tourist-y things, and restaurants.

Enjoy your visit!

fairfax
12. Re: First trip to cape may- where to stay for comfort anbirding?

Wow thanks for all the great and helpful info!!! How did anyone ever plan a trip pre- TA?!!!! ;)

Gibbstown, New...
reviews: 35
13. Re: First trip to cape may- where to stay for comfort anbirding?

Maybe you already know about this site?

http://www.njwildlifetrails.org/

Places to go birding in the area:

Avalon Jetty near 8th street--my cousin sees all kinds of sea birds there

The Cape May Harbor area--right now there is a Western Grebe there (at least it's been there the last month or more, I know 2 people who photographed it)

There has also been a Caracara sighting in Cape May and the shore areas.

(and I'm not talking about the one in the Cape May Zoo!)

Stone Harbor Point and nearby Nummy Island area

Two Mile Island

Higbee Beach

Eldora:

njwildlifetrails.org/DelawareBayshoreTrails/…

New Jersey Audubon - Cape May Bird Observatory, Northwood Center

701 East Lake Drive, Cape May Point, NJ 08212

Phone: (609) 884-2736

New Jersey Audubon - Cape May Bird Observatory Center for Research and Education

600 Route 47 North, Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

Phone: (609) 861-0700

East Point Lighthouse

End of Lighthouse Rd., Maurice River Township, NJ

Phone: (856) 327-3714

Commercial Township Wetland Restoration Site

Strawberry Avenue, Port Norris, NJ 08349

Phone: (888) 627-7437

Matts Landing - Heislerville Wildlife Management Area

Matts Landing Road, Heislerville, NJ

Phone: (856) 785-0455

Most the above places are within a half hour drive of Cape May and they are fairly close to each other, you could easily do more than one in a day. You can search each one on the NJ Wildlife Trails site, they include maps links on that site. I use the Google satellite view to check the places out to give me a good idea of what to look for and what is in the area.

You'll have a good time I'm sure in the Cape May area!

I am a novice birder and photographer who does it for the pure enjoyment.

fairfax
14. Re: First trip to cape may- where to stay for comfort anbirding?

Oh my goodness what helpful information! Thank you all so much! I thought the warbler explosion we have had in VA this winter was exciting...but compared to all the excitement round Cape May it doesn't even compare!

15. Re: First trip to cape may- where to stay for comfort anbirding?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 30, 2014