We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Sandy??

Which Cape May hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
60 reviews
Hurricane Sandy??

What, if anything, is Cape May doing to prepare for Sandy? Looks like she might be a big one. =(

Ocean, New Jersey
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Hurricane Sandy??

Sure hope they are boarding up the places along the ocean front. According to the latest report, the area just south of Cape May is in line to get a direct hit. My prayers are with everyone down there.

modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Hurricane Sandy??

Cape May is preparing the best that can be done and right now, there are voluntary evacuations, but that will likely change into mandatory. The barrier islands already have mandatory evacuations in place for tomorrow. There's not much that can be done, other than boarding up windows and in the case of that new convention hall with the wall of windows, there's nothing that can be done.

Multiple engineers and architects told the city not to install it, but the architect who designed it told the city it was fine and the city chose to do it. We will see how it holds up. The city seems to be not so confident in the new hall's ability to withstand the storm and took the unorthodox measure of building a sand dune directly behind the hall. Unfortunately, according to at least one engineer, this will actually make the situation worse of the city is hit full-blast.

Because the dune is not very long and only the length of the convention hall deck, when water rushes around it and meets in the middle on the other side, it will create a whirlpool effect... right in front of those windows. Secondly, the sand was literally bulldozed right off the adjacent beach to the left and right of the hall, leaving those beaches and the properties behind them, vulnerable to the storm. That could prove to be a very bad decision. While the dune is only about 50 feet long and 4-5 feet high, it took A LOT of sand from those other beaches, many cubic tons.

We shall see. Please keep the city and its residents in your prayers.

Ben Miller

NJ
Level Contributor
921 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Hurricane Sandy??

I was there last year when the hotels were ordered to close and the gov said get off the dam beaches.

It was a circus. Glad I had a full tank of gas. Lines at gas stations on way out were very long.

modernphoenixv2
Level Contributor
966 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: Hurricane Sandy??

This time, nobody is having to tell people to get off the beach, they are taking this very serious. This storm bears a striking resemblance to the storm in 1962 that ravaged Cape May. In '62, there was a full moon just like there is today and it was only 15 days away from one of the two annual equinoxes (Spring and Autumnal, where the tides are at their highest). The Autumnul Equinox was only 33 days ago on Sept 22nd.

Tides are already at their highest of the year, along with during the month around the Spring equinox, plus the Cove is already gone from erosion over the year. The city and federal government spent millions on a replenishment project between the end of last year and the beginning of this year, but all the sand was eroded over the year and the Cove currently looks like it did in the 1980s, before replenishment. With the Cove in its current condition, there is a lot of concern of flooding into West Cape May and blasting the Eastern side of town.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Hurricane Sandy??

oh my, everything sounds so grim, I will have CM in my prayers and hope all residents stay safe. The thought of beautiful CM being hit makes me feel sick.

Cape May Point, New...
Level Contributor
622 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Hurricane Sandy??

We evacuated from the Point and are anxious for any news. If anyone there has power and can post, please do.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Hurricane Sandy??

Here's a youtube video of Grant Street beach.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B245prjJSwM&sns=fb

philadelphia
Level Contributor
222 posts
8. Re: Hurricane Sandy??

I think this is the place to go for Cape May related updates

https://www.facebook.com/CapeMayCounty

Check out the pix of the Lobster House shared on that page :(

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,479 posts
87 reviews
9. Re: Hurricane Sandy??

Ventnor:

…fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/546859_1015225056910…

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,479 posts
87 reviews
10. Re: Hurricane Sandy??

BTW, the hurricane itself is still 110 miles off shore, moving at around 15 mph - hitting at around sundown/high tide tonight.