We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Welcoming visitors ?

Which Cape May hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. George, Utah
Welcoming visitors ?

I found most locals to be friendly during Oct visit, though when I first drove into town stop at grocery store was surprised. Still in Oct there were tickets you had to take to park in the grocery parking lot, and if over 30 min there was a 4.00 fee. While cking out the checker said "I don't know why people who come to visit buy all these groceries". I spent 120.00 and thought it kept that person in a job. Fellow tourists were somewhat rude and once I was asked to leave the shore (after looking at water for 3 min total), of Sunset beach so people could take pics san humans. My meter ran out at night, and I got a ticket, when spending 170.00 at a local store. Street meters only take quarters -well into the night. There are boxes not so evident in some parking lots. Ladies at court house on washington st said $ went to State of NJ- I doubt that highly.

Local food at Pilot House great and take out at Lobster House ordered at their market- learned it from this blog. Also good coffee and wifi at Higher Ground coffee shop. Guys at Lumber Place helped w questions-pleasant. Good Scents has terrific gifts also Whale's Tale, Bring back salt water taffy from Fralingers-travels well. People nice in all these establishments. Make sure you pick up a map, can find at varied places free, will be a lifesaver. Mixed feelings from this get away. This blog was a help in preparing to find good restaurants and beaches. Thank you.

Long Island
reviews: 40
1. Re: Welcoming visitors ?

What a strange post. What's your point??

St. George, Utah
2. Re: Welcoming visitors ?

Perhaps my point (??) Frank is to alert potential visitors to bring plenty of quarters for the meters, expect to pay to park in a lot when buying groceries if over 30 min in shopping, and to possibly encounter East Coast rudeness at times. I added the positives to show that there was a balance.

wilmington
reviews: 17
3. Re: Welcoming visitors ?

Thanks for your post! It is always helpful to others to hear what any individual's experience was.

I am surprised they were still charging to park in the Acme lot. Usually they do not after the high season (but they don't change the signs!) I usually ask in the store if I am not sure.

There is a lot of parking where there are no meters, but you have to know where they are or look for them. I have been visiting Cape May for years and have never paid a meter. We usually just park once and walk the rest of our trip (unless we are going to the lighthouse or to the Saltmarsh Safari) Also I don't think you need to feed them after the high season except on weekends. (Obviously you did when you were there or you wouldn't have gotten a ticket.)

I am also surprised the place you were staying did not guide you to the best place to park.

I hope you do not judge Cape May on what seems like a so-so trip, and have a better time next time!

St. George, Utah
4. Re: Welcoming visitors ?

Thank you for your reply. I was at a private home. With very elderly relatives I was taking them about, as their walking is limited. (Not during ticket, it waas my own journey). My suggestion for their obtaining a handicapped placard (one individual is 90+) was met with a no, so appears this will always be a challenge LOL. Enjoyed much of the safety, cleanliness and character that the town has to offer. Have a wonderful wkend.

wilmington
5. Re: Welcoming visitors ?

Too bad, because if my understanding is correct, in Cape May you may park at any meter for free (not just in handicap spots) if you have a handicap placard. Not 100% sure, so check first if this seems like the way to go for you.

St. George, Utah
6. Re: Welcoming visitors ?

Thank you, I will look into it. Appreciate your input.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 94
7. Re: Welcoming visitors ?

ontheway2cm and stgeorgeutah, I copied this right off the Cape May website.....

Handicapped Parking

The State of New Jersey maintains that handicapped drivers can park in spaces designated as such, but must still pay the meter. Cape May City Council passed an amendment to the parking ordinance which states that anyone parking in a blue designated handicapped parking space, with proper handicapped signage, does not have to pay the meter.

However, if you park in a parking space which is not specifically designated for handicapped parking, even with proper signage, you are expected to pay the meter.

Read more: capemay.com/…ixzz2A2IHlOhR

North Cape May, Nj
reviews: 9
8. Re: Welcoming visitors ?

to possibly encounter East Coast rudeness at times. I added the positives to show that there was a balance.

Perhaps English is not your first language and you have had some difficulty for that reason. This is an East Coast forum, so it does not make a lot of sense to say that East Coast people are rude. Your ONLY posts have been the recent ones about Cape May and I do agree that everyone has a right to express their opinion, but you failed, IMO, to present a clear picture of your overall experience.

wilmington
9. Re: Welcoming visitors ?

Thanks, It10. I wouldn't want to be passing on bad information! I was just too lazy to check it out myself! Now I know.

I think I got mixed up because the handicap spots in metered areas don't have meters? Or something like that.

North Cape May, Nj
reviews: 9
10. Re: Welcoming visitors ?

I think I got mixed up because the handicap spots in metered areas don't have meters? Or something like that.

In Cape May, the handicapped spaces do not have meters.