We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid Unfriendly

Which Cape May hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
reviews: 2
Kid Unfriendly

We are about to head to Cape May with our 2 young children after hearing how nice it is to take kids. Well I wasn't really excited about traveling in this area in the first place, but now I'm really having my doubts after reading all these posts about how unfriendly places are towards children. I hope I change my opinion once I get there, but man this sounds like an old age town. Back to the caribean and cape cod next year.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 96
1. Re: Kid Unfriendly

We don't have any children but I'm surprised to read your comments. I think Cape May is one of the most kid friendly shore destinations.

Every time we're in Cape May there are always plenty of kids of all ages. The hotels we've stayed in and the restaurants we've gone to have always accomodated families with children. Some of the upscale restaurants and B&B's might not be so kid friendly but that's hardly the case of the majority of places.

What exactly is it that has given you this opinion?

KMK83
reviews: 14
2. Re: Kid Unfriendly

We were in Cape May last weekend and there were tons of kids everywhere.

NYC
reviews: 2
3. Re: Kid Unfriendly

Well, it depends on where you want to take them: There are TONS of families with kids at the beach, on the boardwalk, at the mini-golf, strolling the mall, at the local pancake house, etc. Having said that, in 10 years of visiting, I've never once seen a child at one of the nicer restaurants in town (Ebbitt Room, Union Park, Louisa's, Washington Inn, etc.) -- those and most of the other upscale restaurants cater to adults, as lt10 mentioned, and I doubt any of the couples dining there would welcome being seated near a family with children. In addition, most of the B&Bs cannot accommodate children under 16 (due to space constraints), but all of the larger hotels do.

lehigh valley
reviews: 9
4. Re: Kid Unfriendly

My extended family (parents, two brothers and their family) vacationed annually in cape may for about 12 years, until the kids grew up.

We always booked a house.so I can't comment on the kid friendliness of the hotels.

We always found plenty of kid friendly restaurants however.Cape May is, in my opinion, better for young kids than just about any Jersey Shore location other than Ocean City. MACRuns kids tours. The Whale watch Cruises are kid friendly. Go to the lighthouse and to Sunset Beach to look for Cape May Diamonds.

There are minature Golf courses and a couple kid friendly arcades. The kids should enjoy a horse and carriage tour.

Finally, if they are old enough, Wildwood and Morey's Piers are only about 15 minutes away. Cape May County's excellent small zoo is only about 20 minutes.

Edited: 2:23 pm, August 24, 2011
jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
reviews: 6
5. Re: Kid Unfriendly

I have been going to Cape May for yes. and during the summer I have seen many, many children, The condel Summer Station caters to familys as well as the Camelot and many motels along Beach Ave. The Jetty has many children staying there. I will agree there are some expensive restaurant that attract adults but there are so many more that welcome children. I am sorry you got the wrong impression.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
reviews: 6
6. Re: Kid Unfriendly

check out modernphoenixv2 DE posts they are very informative, He has been going to Cape May for yrs. with his children and he really is a expert on CM.

Glenwood, NJ
reviews: 48
7. Re: Kid Unfriendly

A few points;

I haven't seen any posts about anywhere in Cape May being kid unfriendly - but if you have, please let me know - I'd like to see them. I have seen two whiners in the case of the Mad Batter and Oyster Bay who seemingly took their NO STROLLERS policy as being kid unfriendly (which, in the case of the Oyster Bay poster was absurd because that poster himself said in his post that he was bringing a toddler and the response was come on over- no wait). Does that sound kid unfriendly to you? Because he wasn't allowed to bring his stroller in, the restaurant is kid unfriendly - one heck of a jump there. And Oyster Bay was supposed to KNOW he was bringing a stroller (one heck of a reservation in the future, eh? 2 adults, 1 toddler, 1 inanimate)?

The poster on the Mad Batter problem must have been an off duty fire marshal familiar with Cape May fire codes - otherwise how would he have known that Mad Batter was deceiving him by saying strollers were a fire hazard - which of course, begs the question - was the place he was subsequently so happy with for letting him in with his stroller violating the fire code by letting him in? Hmmm...

But from the tone of your post, may I ask why are you going in the first place? You seem to be predisposed about disliking the place - why spend the extra money? Why not just cut your losses and go somewhere that may be more to your liking?

Rockaway, New Jersey
reviews: 43
8. Re: Kid Unfriendly

Cape May is wall-to-wall kids during the summer and they certainly don't look unhappy.

Cape May, New Jersey
reviews: 3
9. Re: Kid Unfriendly

Cape May has a lot to offer kids. The Nature Center is geared toward kids with free things to do. There is the Salt Marsh Safari, Pirate Cruises and our Dolphin and whale watch cruises. There are 2 arcades on the Promenade and countless Miniature Golf places some with ice cream palors. Mind you there are no Mc Donalds or Burger Kings in the City of Cape May, but, there are plenty of Pizza and Burger places for kids. Uncle Bills Pancake house is perfect for kids. Having worked in the Hospitality Industry for the past 20 years I have to say we LOVE kids. Their excited faces when they see the dolphins playing off the shore and how excited they are to show off their sea shell collections. Bring those kids to Cape May, we love to share what we have to offer.

modernphoenixv2
reviews: 55
10. Re: Kid Unfriendly

Thank you, Daisey! It's true, I have been coming to Cape May since I was a baby and my family has been vacationing in the city for many years before that. It's a wonderful town for kids and that's coming from someone who has experienced it as both a kid and a parent. I have four children of my own now and they love Cape May. The city is much safer and cleaner than almost every other beach on the East Coast and is ranked by the Travel Channel, Tripadvisor and numerous travel magazines as one of the top 10 beaches in the world.

There are plenty of places for kids and if you look at the main commercial district, you can see just how kid-friendly it really is. In the three blocks of the Washington Street mall are 4 candy stores (Fralinger's, Morrow's, Original Fudge Kitchen and Second Story Sweets), 4 ice cream parlors (Uncle Charlie's, Dairy Queen, Ben & Jerry's and Kohr's), and 2 toy stores (The Toy Shop, Zoo Company). Then there are places like the Whale's Tale that have a big toy section and Atlantic Books that nice-sized kid's section. Then there's restaurants on the mall that cater to kids like Jackson Mountain Cafe, Ugly Mug, Cape May Popcorn and Pizza, the Pilot House, the Lemon Tree and the soda fountain at Dellas.

That's just on the mall, there are plenty more fun things for kids around town like the two arcades on the Promenade and the plethora of miniature golf joints around town. Restaurant-wise, the Rusty Nail even offers their kids meals on frisbees while Cabanas has special kid days where they bring in performers. The Lobster House docks are routinely filled with families (like mine when I was a kid) and Lucky Bones across the street is hugely popular with families.

I could go on, but I hope you get my drift about Cape May. It's not an "old-folks town" but a resort for people of all ages. Even the fanciest of B&B's and restaurants are seeing a new clientelle of younger couples in their late twenties and thirties. The feel of Cape May is laid back, much more so than any other resort I've ever visited and the people the city typically attracts are respectful and they tend to be a bit more affluent than other locals. All of that adds up to a place where you can feel safe with your kids and everyone can have a good time.