We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best scenic beaches. rocky coast?

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Best scenic beaches. rocky coast?

Hi,

I will be traveling to portsmouth next weekend for 3 days. 1 day i plan to explore the town, the other i plan to head on an isles of shoals tour, and the third i would like to go to a nearby beach. I don't mind driving a half hour or so to reach one. I like to photograph and paint. Which beach is the most scenic and picturesque? Thanks!

Hollis, New...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Best scenic beaches. rocky coast?

Odiorne Point in Rye has a good bit of scenic, rugged coastline, though no real beach in the usual sense. There are also a couple of small beaches in New Castle. Both of these towns are right next to Portsmouth. A bit farther down the coast are larger expanses of sand at Rye Beach and Hampton Beach. Some of the most beautiful beaches in the region are in Massachusetts, including Plum Island in Newburyport and Crane in Ipswich. I think Crane is probably about a half-hour drive from Portsmouth (but be warned, it has a hefty parking fee and will be very crowded on the weekend).

Edited: 1:22 pm, July 08, 2013
Antrim, New...
reviews: 13
2. Re: Best scenic beaches. rocky coast?

I agree with wpsaukee re:Odiorne POint. Picturesque place and nice walking, wading, poking among the rocks. A good beach very near to there is Wallis Sands State Park, if swimming is on your agenda. If you are looking for an all put together beach, cliffs and scenic coast, I would recommend Ogunquit in Maine. It is about a half hour from Portsmouth. You have a great swimming beach. Beautiful Cliff Walk (The Marginal Way, I think it is called?) and that will take you to the picturesque fishing village of Perkins Cove, part tourist site and part real fishing port.

3. Re: Best scenic beaches. rocky coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 13, 2014