We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help WIth Itinerary

Which North Conway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denham Springs
Need Help WIth Itinerary

My parents are visiting the East Coast for the first time. My 10 year old daughter is also going. We are from Louisiana, so needless-to-say, it will be a change in scenery. The PLAN is for them to fly into Boston, MA July 2nd.

July 3rd - Visit Concord (possibly the Shaker Village)

July 4th - 5th - Visit the White Mountains (Conway)

July 6th - Visit Portland Maine

July 7th - Back to Boston

Fly Out

We know VERY LITTLE about the area. We need help. They would love to see some beautiful scenery & perhaps some historic stuff. The itinerary can be changed if anyone can offer advice. Also looking for hotels, bb, etc. They are not huge hikers, etc. I REALLY REALLY need help. My daughter is not your average 10 year old, so she doesn't need a ton of excitement..even though she does like to have fun.

Thanks in advance!

Eva

Boston...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Need Help WIth Itinerary

Just an FYI - Manchester,NH(MHT) is a much closer airport to White Mountains than Boston.

* Are you planning to fly on July 3 & Fly out on July 7??

* Most of the Historic stuff is in & around Boston. Are you planning to spend time in Boston?

Each of the places in your itinerary are atleast ~2hr apart. Are they comfortable driving & then spending time at these places?

Hollis, New...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Need Help WIth Itinerary

Do you mean Concord, NH? I assume so, sine you mention the Shaker Village (which is in Canterbury, a short distance north of Concord), but Concord, MA is a much more usual tourist destination. If the capital of New Hampshire is the place you mean, and you don't want to visit Boston, then as RelaxByTravel suggests, Manchester would be a more logical airpot to use. Southwest Airlines has quite a few flights (1-stop).

I like Concord, it's a very pleasant small city, but I wouldn't spend a full day there as a tourist, even including Canterbury Shaker Village as part of "there." It's about 25 minutes from Manchester airport. You could drive to downtown Concord for a quick eating/browsing/shopping stop, then contine to Canterbury for a few hours, and then head up toward the lakes and mountains. I'll suggest the area between Lake Winnipesaukee and the White Mountains as a place to look for lodging. It's a gorgeous area, less hectic than Conway and North Conway, and provides easy access to both the mountains and the Lakes. Here's a place I suggested to another poster the other day, even though I'm not familiar with the inn itself: http://www.riverbendinn.com/. It doesn't appear to have any availability for your dates, but you could poke aroud the Web site a bit to get an idea of the area. Other towns nearby include Tamworth, Center Sandwich, Moultonborough, Tuftonboro, and Ossippee.

Your family might enjoy a visit to Castle in the Clouds, http://castleintheclouds.org/. On the property is a beautiful, short, easy hiking trail called the Falling Waters Trail, which takes you to a half-dozen cascades and falls.

Although Portland is worth a visit, you could cut down on the distance by substituting a visit to Portsmouth, NH, which is also great. There are lots of B&Bs and a few larger hotels there.

If you do fly to and from Boston, consider visiting Salem and one or two other towns in Essex County (Newburyport/Ipswich/Rockport/Gloucester, etc.) on your way south.

Hollis, New...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Need Help WIth Itinerary

That's Salem, Massachusetts, not NH (Salem is in Essex County).

Denham Springs
4. Re: Need Help WIth Itinerary

Driving is not a problem (esp scenic routes). Attractions do not have to be all historical. They just want to experience the area....things that they can't in La. They will fly in on Monday July 2nd and fly out on Saturday the 7th. The tickets to fly into Boston are already purchased. Yes. I am referring to Concord, NH. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. They have been extremely helpful. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Houston
reviews: 2
5. Re: Need Help WIth Itinerary

If your relatives have never been to Boston, then by all means have them experience the "Freedom Trail". Allow at least a half day or more to experience the historical sites.

Georgia
reviews: 1
6. Re: Need Help WIth Itinerary

Great advice so far.

Couple more questions:

- arrival and departure times?

- "not big hikers" but how much of a leisurely walk would everyone be up for? 1m, 2m, more within reason?

- It's the fourth, it's hot how about a picnic and a swim in a nice mtn stream?

- budget?

- would you prefer settling into one location and daytriping in the WM. This is what I'd recommend.

- biggest question, Boston or No?

re: Boston

It's such a classic city. It would be like going to Louisiana and missing N.O. You could take a taxi or the subway or a water taxi from the airport. Find a hotel right downtown. Depending on how early they land, they could walk the Freedom Trail or parts, take a swan boat at the public gardens and have a classic italian dinner in a classic italian neighborhood. Do something in the AM or hop back over to the airport and pick up your rental.

As for the rest, you are looking at a loop up to and around the White Mtns and Lake Winnepeasaukee. You could find accomodation in places like Conway, NConway, Jackson, Lincoln or south of the mtns nearer the lake like Meredith, Center Harbor, etc... THe Tamworth,.... area mentioned by Wp is absolutely gorgeous, quiet many small villages.

re: what to do?

Looking at this "loop" clockwise there are lots of attractions. Go to www.Googlemaps.com to find them.

And depending on what they'd like to do....

- Canobie Lake Park in Salen NH. Nice family amusement park. They've got a real roller coaster there.

- Concord

- Shaker Village, never been personally.

- The Polar Caves

- Lost River

- *The Kangamangus Highway, this is Rt 112. Along with Rt 16, Rt 302 and Rt 9, this is THE CLASSIC NH White Mtn Drive. It's about a 100m loop, with many, many attractions along the way.

- *THe Flume

- THe Basin

- Cannon Mtn Gondola Ride

- Mt Washington Hotel, historic hotel and very dramatic sight from the road. Worth a stop or maybe a meal.

- *Cog Railroad or Mt. Washington Auto Road, these are classic White Mtn things to do.

- N.Conway is a shopping mecca and has a nice downtown, park and Railroad Station. You can take a RR ride. N. Conway can have lots of traffic. If you stay here, try to leave early and come back later. If not, you'll end up here sooner or later. There are a couple ways aroundd the mess, so don't let it deter you!

- *Cathedral Ledge, just west of N.Conway. Great views from the cliff.

- Diana's Bath, great swimming in a brook, easy .6m walk.

At Conway, you can head west up the Kanc or south toward Tamworth and Lake W.

- Mt Chocurua & Chocurua Lake, I like to mention this because it's a nice road side lake to stop at, rest, picnic, swim. It's also has a small bridge that seperates the lake and a small pond. From the bridge you have a fantastic view to the north at Mt Chocurua.

- Castle in the Clouds, I agree completely. Bit of history here for your parents...

- Weir Beach, Center Harbor, etc...., I don't know LW as well.

What I'd do is try to settle in somwhere like Jackson. A bit away from the hustle/hastle of NC, convenient to MT Washington, the Kanc/302 loop and another loop of 302, 16, 2 and 112.

Catch Concord,... coming up 93 to Lincoln/the Kanc. Catch Castle in the cClouds, LW and maybe Portsmouth coming back. Figure to the on the Kanc, etc... several times.

OK, that's a mind dump. Let;s talk some more.

Edited: 6:36 pm, June 20, 2012
berkley, ma
reviews: 1
7. Re: Need Help WIth Itinerary

Try Attitash Mountain they have a mountain coaster & rock climbing wall. Rt 302 & Kangamangus Hwy is a beautiful ride through the mountains

8. Re: Need Help WIth Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:45 pm, June 27, 2013
Get answers to your questions about North Conway