We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Trip Report

Which North Conway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 253
New England Trip Report

Thanks to all the TA experts for their help in planning our trip to New England.

Day 1- Flew Southwest airlines from Birmingham to Manchester, NH. Rental car from Budget. Had a very rainy drive to North Conway. Stopped for lunch in Tilton at Northfield Bakery and Eatery- very good homemade strawberry pancakes. Took route through Meredith which was very scenic. Stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn in North Conway- great new hotel.

Day 2- Drove the Kanc and up Route 3 to Franconia Notch State Park. The leaves were at their peak and absolutely beautiful . Ate lunch at Wendle’s in Franconia-delicious homemade soup and sandwich. Stopped at Robert Frost House and Museum in Franconia. Then drove to St. Johnsbury, Vt. to tour Maple Grove Farms but tour was not open. Headed over to Crawford Notch State Park, Bretton Woods and back to North Conway. Ate dinner at Thompsons House Eatery- excellent food and service.

Day 3- Shopping at Zeb’s in North Conway then drove to Bretton Woods to take the Cog RR to the top of Mt. Washington. Weather in the 60’s at the base but when we got to the summit we were in blizzard conditions with several inches of snow- they even closed the State park while we were there. Ate dinner at the Red Parka- good salad bar but steak was tough and poor quality.

Day 4- Drove to Bar Harbor- got in Fryeburgh Fair traffic and was backed up for about 5 miles. It took over an hour just to make our way around the traffic and head to I-95. Also a lot of construction between Ellsworth and Bar Harbor. Stayed at Bar Harbor Inn- great location but old, worn out rooms and bedding. Walked down to the harbor before dinner. Ate dinner at Galyn’s- excellent lobster.

Day 5- Rained part of the day. Drove through Acadia National Park- stopping at Sand Beach, Thunderhole and Cadillac Mt. Came back to Bar Harbor for a quick lunch at a little diner- Main Street Diner and Market- good chowder, soup and sandwich. After lunch drove over to Southwest harbor and to the Bass Harbor lighthouse. Had reservations for dinner at the Reading Room- excellent Atlantic salmon and bananas foster for dessert and of course an awesome view of the harbor.

Day 6- Shopping in Bar Harbor in the morning then we started our drive down the coast of Maine. We went to the Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Fort Knox, then to Camden Hills State Park and went up to Mt. Battie- awesome views of the coast, and then to Rockland. We stayed in Brunswick at the Comfort Inn- good hotel for the price. Ate dinner at the Taste of Maine- do not waste your time or money there.

Day 7- Drove to Cape Elizabeth to the Portland Headlights and toured the museum. We stopped in Kennebunkport for lunch at Alissons- great chowder and lobster roll. Then drove to walk the beach at Ogunquit. We planned to drive into Boston in the afternoon but when we got close to Boston we were in rain and the traffic was very heavy so we headed north to Manchester. We stayed at the Hampton Inn near the airport- excellent choice because a short drive to the airport. Ate dinner at the Buggaboo Steak House near the hotel- good prime rib for a chain restaurant.

Day 8- Flew Southwest airlines back to Birmingham.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
reviews: 59
1. Re: New England Trip Report

HI CeCe,

Welcome home! It sounds like you had a nice trip. Isn't the beach in Ogunquit awesome!? Next trip you will have to include the Marginal Way in Ogunquit as well.

Sounds like you had a full trip and experienced lots of weather...what NE is famous for. You were brave to go to George's summit...what an experience!

I have not yet experienced the cog, except to wave to it while on foot heading up to the summit.

Thanks for posting your trip report!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 118
2. Re: New England Trip Report

You covered a lot of ground! Hope you enjoyed it all. It sounds like you did. I'd love to know more about your day on Mt Washington. I saw some snow up there on one of the days we were in NH, but I guess it got worse after we left. Not surprising.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
3. Re: New England Trip Report

RedRox,

We started the day at the Cog RR around 11 am. We grabbed a bite of lunch and walked around waiting for our time to board the RR. It was in the 60's and partly cloudy. We made our way to the summit and as we travelled closer we could see it sleeting and snowing. When we reached the summit the wind was blowing and there was about an inch of snow on the ground. We got some hot chocalate and went downstairs to the museum. When we got back upstairs they were making announcements that the State park was closing and they shut down the shops and snack bar. By the time the train arrived for us to board it was really blowing and there was at least 3 or more inches of snow on the ground. What an experience. We don't get that much snow in Georgia every 5-10 years.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
4. Re: New England Trip Report

Cool. You got some extreme weather by your own standards, but just a taste of late summer on the mountain.

For readers who post about planning their MW CR trip on 'Tuesday or Wednesday', (joke) let this be a lesson. You go up Mt Washington and face the weather. it will be what it is. If you have the luxury of time, pick a clear day and go.

Chicago, IL
reviews: 17
5. Re: New England Trip Report

CeCe-

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I can't believe how quickly the weather changes at the top of Mt. Washington. I would have been even more scared having to drive through that! I was scared enough as it was.

We also did the Penobscot Bridge and Mt. Battie. We covered the same ground. I have to finish the last part of my trip report..

Thanks again for all of your help! It was an awesome trip!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
6. Re: New England Trip Report

My friends tell me it's snowing in Jackson and Glen today. Much more to the north.

Nashville
reviews: 52
7. Re: New England Trip Report

Great report CeCe. I loved reading about your visit to places we visited in the early 90's. I had thought our next big trip with the kids would be to New England. After watching the Ken Burns NP special, I am now leaning toward visiting Yosemite and Monterey, CA. We will probably wait until 2011 for that trip and stay close to home in 2010.

Have fun planning your Yellowstone/Glacier trip for next summer. Saturday, I plan to go watch your UGA Bulldogs play at Vanderbilt. While I will have to be for Vandy, I expect to see the dawgs rebound.

RedRox,

It must be global warming that is causing the October snows :). I hope things are going well in Sedona. In about 10 years (after the college tuition years are behind us), I would love to spend a whole week in the Sedona area. I've got a slide show that includes pictures of Sedona as my screen saver, so I get to remember those red rocks several times a day.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
8. Re: New England Trip Report

tntands,

We've been up and down the coast of California but never to Yosemite. Would love to do that maybe in a few years.

9. Re: New England Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 12, 2010