We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Trip with Teens

Which North Conway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 3
Budget Trip with Teens

Hello, We will be staying in Barlett in early June in a townhouse rental. We will have 4 teens, 1 8 year old and 4 adults. We are looking for some fun economical stuff to do with the kids. Is there a place where they can rent canoe's or kayaks? Also, how would they go about doing tubing on a river and where should we go to do this. We will probably spend a day at the park at Attitash, but needed some fill ins. How is Echo Lake State Park? We haven't been up in a few years. Used to always go when the kids were younger and do the Storyland and Santa's Village stuff. We're obviously past that now. Also, is there anyplace to rent jetskies at any area lakes? Thanks so much for the info.

Boston
reviews: 3
1. Re: Budget Trip with Teens

meant to say early August, not June.

Boston, Mass.
reviews: 58
2. Re: Budget Trip with Teens

You can rent canoes, kayaks and tubes at Saco Bound in Fryeburg, Maine, on Route 302, near the New Hampshire border. Their web site is http://www.sacobound.com

The web site says tubes are $20/adult, $10 for children.

On Sunday, July 29th, we rented a three person canoe and a tandem (two-person) kayak there and went down the Saco to their first landing at Weston's Beach in Fryeburg. It was $60 per boat on the weekend. On Saturdays in the summer many boats are reserved ahead and sold out, so check and see if you can still reserve if you are going on a Saturday.

The river water is low right now because there has not been a lot of rain there lately. We did a lot of poling and had to get out to drag the canoe in a few places, though for the most part it was a pleasant drift down river to the boat pick up spot. It is about two hours to the first pick up spot, or about four hours to a second pick up spot further downstream in Fryeburg, for your planning.

It is definitely a great outdoor thing to do that everyone can enjoy.

Wear a bathing suit, shorts, and water shoes or sandals

We looked into going to Attitash but have not gone there yet. I think it is $35/person for the day, (or $25/person from 3-6pm, not a big savings.) I understand the wait for the alpine slide is often about 30 minutes, so it is worth arriving at 9:30am to buy a ticket for the 10:00 opening.

Look into hiking up Black Cap, a hike on a smaller mountain in North Conway. It is less than an hour up, and the view of Mount Washington and the Presidential range is great. Black Cap

Trail is off of Hurricane Mountain Road, at the "height of land" on the steep road. Here is a link about it:

nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/n…

Your teens may also enjoy Banana Village on Route 16 which has arcade games, mini golf, and a water slide.

Try the Glen Junction Family Restaurant for breakfast or lunch. Moat Mountain restaurant on Route 16 is North Conway is good for local beer, salads, nachos, pizza, etc. or the Red Parka pub in Glen has good food and a salad bar. Hope this gives you some help in planning!

Antrim, New...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Budget Trip with Teens

Good suggestions.

I think that everyone would enjoy swimming at Diana's Baths. It is along River Road, which is a turn south somewhere between Glen and Attitash. It is a few miles down the road on youor right. There will be a sign. Swimming is in a river that cascades down a mountain. No place to change, there. Also not a bad idea to wear water shoes or water proof sandals, especially if you do not like walking in on the rocks.

Pirate's Cove in North COnway has good mini golf.

Hike, drive or be driven up Mt Washington. Much cheaper than the Cog railway at about $50 a person. Access is along Rte 16 in Pinkham Notch. Also Gondola ride up Wildcat Mtn.

Another day, you can drive all the way down River Road, avoiding all the traffic in N. Conway, and down Rte 16 to Rte 112, the Kankamagus Highway across the White Mountains to Lincoln/Woodstock. Great views. Many good hikes, some short, others long, and a great swimming stream with changing houses along the early part of the road.

Then up through Franconia Notch and back to Attitash via Rte 3 to 302. Lots to do and see in Franconia Notch area. The Flume and a nice 2 mile circuit hike. The Basin with another swimming stream up the Kinsman Trail. And the tram ride up Cannon Mouontain.

NH
reviews: 7
4. Re: Budget Trip with Teens

All good suggestions. The only thing I would say about going on the Saco...is to probably stay away from it on the weekend. The banks of the river are filled with loud drunk people who canoe/drink/camp for the weekend. I know b/c I've been one of them in the past. It's not somwhere I would want to bring young kids.

really fun though! Just a warning...

5. Re: Budget Trip with Teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 05, 2009