We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I take HoboRR or WinnipesaukeeRR for Fall Foliage?

Which Lincoln hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Should I take HoboRR or WinnipesaukeeRR for Fall Foliage?

I'm planning to take a Fall foliage train ride and confused on whether Hobo RR (White Mountains Train) or the Winnipesaukee RR (Lake Side Train) provides the best foliage scenery?

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
NH
reviews: 6
1. Re: Should I take HoboRR or WinnipesaukeeRR for Fall Foliage?

What are your travel dates?

New York City, New...
2. Re: Should I take HoboRR or WinnipesaukeeRR for Fall Foliage?

Mostly last week of September or 1st week of October.

Thanks

NH
3. Re: Should I take HoboRR or WinnipesaukeeRR for Fall Foliage?

You might find slightly better color north and on the HoboRR that early in the season. Personally I am partial to the lakes region but obviously the later into the first week in Oct the better the color. It's funny how much of a difference a week can make. Another option might be to do the Hobo and then take a boat ride on the Mt.Washington on Winnipesaukee. ...Just a thought and if you have never been on Winnipesaukee you are really missing something. It is beautiful!

New York City, New...
4. Re: Should I take HoboRR or WinnipesaukeeRR for Fall Foliage?

Thank you.

Checked the hoborr.com website (also mentioned in http://www.foliagetrains.com/) and saw a special fall foliage train to Plymouth,NH - 4 hours round trip.

This train operates only on weekends ( 9/28, 9/29, 10/5, 10/6 10/12 10/13, 10/14 and 10/19) with just one train per day.

Any suggestion on that?

NH
5. Re: Should I take HoboRR or WinnipesaukeeRR for Fall Foliage?

Without a doubt Columbus Day weekend will likely be the busiest...usually absolute peak for the area. Color has peaked later but the middle of the month is a good rule of thumb to plan around. The end of Sept. color could be "good" around the Plymouth area but not "great." The first weekend in Oct. should be better. Cool nights will bring on the color so everything depends upon a stretch of truly typical fall weather for the color to "pop."

I have a small maple in my yard and I am convinced it is the first tree in the entire state to color up. This year that tree started turning just about on schedule...maybe a few days later than usual. It's funny but that little tree seems to be a good indicator for when peak color will happen.

If you would like a good place to eat while in Plymouth, try The Common Man. Nice menu; good food. They do have a website. ...Local chain but not your run of the mill chain.

New York City, New...
6. Re: Should I take HoboRR or WinnipesaukeeRR for Fall Foliage?

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Appreciate your help.

Reply to: Should I take HoboRR or WinnipesaukeeRR for Fall Foliage?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted