We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Fall Foliage view - Loon Mountain or Cannon Mountain?

Which Lincoln hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Best Fall Foliage view - Loon Mountain or Cannon Mountain?

Hello,

Between Loon Mountain and Cannon Mountain, which one do you suggest for the best fall foliage view?

Thanks

NH
reviews: 6
1. Re: Best Fall Foliage view - Loon Mountain or Cannon Mountain?

Flip a coin. The two mountains are about 20 minutes apart and Cannon might only have the slightest edge as far as view because it overlooks Echo Lake. ...Just my OP.

Georgia
reviews: 1
2. Re: Best Fall Foliage view - Loon Mountain or Cannon Mountain?

I don't think you'd find much difference.

One possible consideration -- and I may be wrong so hopefully someone can confirm....

From the top of Loon, I think you are mostly viewing northward.

From the top of Cannon, I think you are mostly viewing eastward.

That said, I think the position of the sun and backlighting might favor Loon in general, in that you should have good sunlight at your back (to the south) lighting up the Mtns to the north.

From Cannon, I would think late afternoon would be you best timing for view because the sun will be in the westerly sky, shining down on the west slops of the Mtns to you east. In the AM, you'll likely have sun in your face (shining from the east, SE and south).

New York City, New...
3. Re: Best Fall Foliage view - Loon Mountain or Cannon Mountain?

Thanks a lot.

Also any suggestion on comparison between these two trains and the Conway scenic Rail?

Out of these 3 train option, I'm planning to do two. Would it be too much to take in or get boring at some point in time?

Edited: 6:19 pm, August 18, 2013
New Hampshire
reviews: 60
4. Re: Best Fall Foliage view - Loon Mountain or Cannon Mountain?

I'd skip the Conway Scenic railroad. We did it several years ago & unless it's changed, found that most of the views were blocked by trees as it's in a National forest where trees can't be cut without special permission.

Lincoln, NH
reviews: 7
5. Re: Best Fall Foliage view - Loon Mountain or Cannon Mountain?

I like the view from Cannon much more -- you see Franconia Notch and over to Lincoln and Lafayette -- which you would see from Loon, but at a distance. Cannon is also about 1000 feet higher.

New York City, New...
6. Re: Best Fall Foliage view - Loon Mountain or Cannon Mountain?

Hello tfp2, Thanks for your feedback about Conway scenic Train. Did you take this train ride during the FALL FOLIAGE season?

Thank you all for your help.

Looking forward to the NE trip.

Boston...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Best Fall Foliage view - Loon Mountain or Cannon Mountain?

I'm really suprised people would say you wouldn't notice much of a difference.

I think they are quite different and prefer Cannon. Franconia notch is special and not like anything you'd see so clear from the top of Loon. The close view of Franonia Ridge and it's mountains is also different (better IMO) than the viewing of other mountains from Loon where they would appear more off at a distance.

New York City, New...
8. Re: Best Fall Foliage view - Loon Mountain or Cannon Mountain?

Thank you all

New Hampshire
reviews: 60
9. Re: Best Fall Foliage view - Loon Mountain or Cannon Mountain?

Sorry for the delay in answering. Yes, we took the trip during the height of the Fall foliage season.

10. Re: Best Fall Foliage view - Loon Mountain or Cannon Mountain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, September 12, 2014