We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 1 Lincoln

Which Lincoln hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
831 posts
114 reviews
Trip Report Part 1 Lincoln

Part 1 Lincoln

Friday June 21

My wife and I arrived mid afternoon at Cold Springs Resort just north of Ashland after a 2 day drive from Illinois. There we met up with our 2 daughters and their husbands who flew into Manchester, unloaded the cars and moved in to our 2 bedroom unit.

Since everyone had had a long day of traveling we decided to eat dinner at The Common Man in Ashland. This was a great choice. The 6 of use sat around a big table getting caught up and shared a wonderful dinner.Then a short drive to Wal-Mart to pick up some things.

Saturday June 22

We left early today, picked up sandwiches and drove to Franconia Notch this cloudy morning. We went to the Cannon Mountain where the kids had reserved bikes for a half day. The kids left on their bikes and my wife and I started out walking north on the bike path.

First we came across Echo Lake. Then the trail turned in to the woods and wild flowers. Then we crossed under I-93 and walked the Sunset Bridge. From there we turned around and walked back down to Cannon Mountain, on to the Old Man of the Mountain Historic Site and down to Profile Lake. Once again we turned around and hiked back to Cannon Mountain. We found a picnic table, took out our sandwiches and waited for the kids to come back. All 4 showed up in a short time and joined us for lunch.

After lunch we walked over and took the tram up the mountain. As we were going up the man operating the tram told us that visibility had been dropping all morning and that it may start raining soon.

We got off the tram at the top and walked the trail to the view tower. We took our pictures and got back to the tram just before it started raining. We took the tram back down in the rain and got into our cars.

We drove back down I-93 the the Flume Gorge. It had stopped raining when we arrived at the visitor center but still was cloudy. We decided to chance it and take the trail to Flume Gorge. We did not have any rain while we were on the trail. The gorge was everything we have read and much more. The farther you walk on the bridges the more you discover in the gorge. We spent at least 30 minutes in the gorge.

The best part of the area was that the gorge was not the only thing on the trail. There is the covered bridge, Liberty Gorge and The Pool with it's own covered bridge.

After a long day we went back to Cold Springs and watched it rain all evening from the back porch.

Sunday June 22

Me and daughter #1 got up early and took pictures in the area. We both found this area very interesting for taking pictures. When we returned we found everyone else was having a lazy morning.

With everyone finally up and ready we drove over to Plymouth for lunch at Biederman's Deli. It was a great lunch and they sell they sell jelly beans too!

From Plymouth we drove up to the Kancamagus Highway. A great drive in the mountains with waterfall stops along the drive. At the end of the Highway it started to pour down rain.

So in the driving rain we drove to North Conway and had dinner at The Muddy Moose. It is a nice place with many options.

By the time we finished, the sun had came out and we drove back to Ashland for the night.

Thank you for reading my trip report. You can view our travel pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/rwdwTA

You can read future parts of out New England trip:

Part 2 Ashland

Part 3 Boston

Part 4 Cape Cod

Part 5 Plymouth, MA

Part 6 Ogunquit, ME

Part 7 Road Trips

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
133 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report Part 1 Lincoln

Thanks for your trip report. Franconia Notch is one of my favorite parts of New Hampshire. Glad you got to see some of it without too much interference from the weather!

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
831 posts
114 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report Part 1 Lincoln

Hi Route128North,

I can see why Franconia Notch is one of you favorite parts of New Hampshire. There is much to see and do. All of us enjoyed it there.

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report Part 1 Lincoln

Wow good for you - hitting the best spots! Common Man is a wonderful chain - we love the one in Lincoln especially. The Flume, Kanc, all the rest - great highlights. Did you happen to check out Clarke's Trading Post with the trained bear show? If not perhaps next time.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report Part 1 Lincoln

Thanks for the post. We are heading to White Mountains in October and your photos and report added to my excitement!

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
831 posts
114 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report Part 1 Lincoln

Hi AussieSue,

I am glad you enjoyed my trip report and pictures. The White Mountains are a special place and should be a pretty drive in October.

Enjoy your trip!

6. Re: Trip Report Part 1 Lincoln

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, March 21, 2015