We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Trip

Which Lincoln hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LOUISIANA
reviews: 2
New England Trip

We have finalized our itenary and want some opinions:

Dates - October 9 - 27.

Oct. 9 - flying into Manchester NH - rent car

Oct 10 - Bar Harbor, Maine by way of Hwy. 1 along coast. Interested in lighthouses

Oct 11-12 - Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor area

Oct 13 - drive to Gorham NH for overnight stay

Oct 14 - 18 - Lincoln, NH - White Mountain area

Oct 19 - drive to Bennington, Vt - will travel part of Rt 100

Oct. 20 - 21 - Vermont - covered bridges, maple farms, country stores

Oct 22 - travel to Boston via Hwy 2

Oct 23 - 27 - Boston - Freedom Trail, Salem, Fenway

Any comments and must dos would be appreciated. Hoping we may see some fall colors along the way. What should we expect weather wise.

Hollis, New...
reviews: 3
1. Re: New England Trip

Well, that looks like a fine trip to me, and you will certainly see fall color.

I recommend you take some time to explore the Lakes Region of NH, a bit south of where you'll be in Lincoln, and also the area between the White Mounatins and the lakes. Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough is worth a visit. I love the towns of Center Sandwich, Tamworth, and Chocorua.

I'm not sure what you have in mind when you refer to "maple farms," but you should be aware that there won't be any maple sugaring going on--that happens in the early spring.

Have a great trip.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
2. Re: New England Trip

you can expect cool weather, maybe some rain, hopefully much sun. Your itinerary is pretty full but not too ambitious that you should not have fun.

This is some stuff to do in MW area.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19621-Circling…

suggest that you familiarize yourself with the visitnh.gov and visitvt.gov websites as invaluable info there. Was going to suggest that you consider visiting Williamstown and Williams College and maybe catch a football game but the team is away on 10/20 but still worth a visit to one of the loveliest college campuses and towns in the nation especially in fall. While in So Vt, definitely check out Hildene in Manchester.

Edited: 12:18 pm, September 28, 2012
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 128
3. Re: New England Trip

Oct 10 Manchester NH to Bar Harbor -- "lighthouses" (most can be Googled for more info, photos and driving directions from US Rt 1):

-- The Nubble Lighthouse, Cape Neddick/York ME

-- Portland Head Light lighthouse, Cape Elizabeth ME

Both of the above would be on my "must see" list... other possibilities:

Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse, on the breakwater, Rockland ME

Fort Point Lighthouse, Stockton Springs ME

All of the above are reasonably close to Rt 1, with minimum detour times...

One other beautiful lighthouse, but at least half an hour off Rt 1 1-way (meaning at least an hour just to get there and back) would be:

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, Pemaquid ME....

LOUISIANA
reviews: 2
4. Re: New England Trip

Thanks very much for the input. Will definitely do some research to take comments into consideration. Mainer thanks for the list of lighthouses. I know we will not be able to see them all but appreciate knowing which ones to definitely put on the lst

5. Re: New England Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, June 29, 2014