We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What trail MUST be do in Lincoln area?

Which Lincoln hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 44
What trail MUST be do in Lincoln area?

2 guys staying three nights in Lincoln for hiking this week. Not beginners, but not experts either. Don't mind 5-6 hour rt hike. This is our first trip to NH. Currently I selected the following based on internet searches:

Lost River Gorge

Franconia Falls

Mount Liberty

Other than what I mentioned, If there was one hike we MUST do for views, beauty, caves, etc....which would it be? Comments on the above would be appreciated as well...thanks!

-Mike

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 38
1. Re: What trail MUST be do in Lincoln area?

Mt Chocorua is frequently mentioned as a great hike for views as it has a bald summit. It is on the east side of the kanc.

Arathusa falls is a nice trail. Mostly thru woods but falls are great.

Lost River Gorge isn't really a "hike" but is worth visiting as is Flume Gorge.

Lincoln, NH
reviews: 7
2. Re: What trail MUST be do in Lincoln area?

Falls: Arethusa Falls will be worth the extra drive. Franconia Falls are nice, but it is a long 3-mile walk on a road you could drive an SUV -- not exactly back woods. Alternately, Sabaday Falls.

Lost River: no. Touristy.

Neslaw gave you a very good hike, and easy to get to from Lincoln. You might also consider Mooselauke. And maybe even Mt. Lafayette. Lafayette is a great hike -- more than the 6 hours, but a fantastic hike.

Google the 10 things you need for a hike, and follow the recommendations. The Appalachian Mountain Club prints guide books and maps. You should not to a mountain without both.

Happy Hiking!

LMM

USA
3. Re: What trail MUST be do in Lincoln area?

Thank you!

Winchester...
reviews: 64
4. Re: What trail MUST be do in Lincoln area?

Mt. Willard in Crawford Notch.

Lincoln, NH
5. Re: What trail MUST be do in Lincoln area?

Willard is a great view for small effort -- it's nowhere near the 5-hour hike, and many consider it the best view for the time spent on the trail. I'd include it on your list for an easy hike after a big day -- or if plans/weather are not conducive to the big hikes. An excellent suggestion from Thomas.

USA
6. Re: What trail MUST be do in Lincoln area?

Back from Lincoln. Went on 2 great hikes.

The first was up Falling Waters Trail up Mount Lincoln, over to Mount Lafayette and down Old Bridle Path...took us 6:55 to do the loop...Stopped at the Hut, chatted with Kate, refilled water and picked up some snickers bars :)

Second hike was Welch-Dickie....very challenging with misty/foggy conditions...about 3 hours R/T.....

Looking forward to returning in October.

Massachusetts
reviews: 8
7. Re: What trail MUST be do in Lincoln area?

Just did a search for a "must do hike" and came up with this thread, so rather than start my own...

We have been up to Franconia Notch many times and have enjoyed the Falling Waters/Ridge/Bridle Path loop numerous times, as well as the Kinsman Ridge/Hi Cannon to Lonesome Lake back to campground loops. Love both of them (especially the first) but really want to do something different next week...

I pulled out my White Mountains Guide and based on suggestions here I am looking at the Arethusa Falls/Frankenstein Cliffs loop. (Probably with a jaunt over to see Ripley Falls). There is wording in there that the trails are in the process of being moved and some of the bridges are not being maintained. I still plan on attempting this as our next hike (on Monday), but wondering if there is any additional info as to what the best routes are to take - and if there is a "loop" now that contains the Arethusa-Ripley Falls Trail, as the wording in this (2003) guide suggests.

We'll of course grab the latest trail map/guides when we get up there, but any insight before we start packing would be great! Thanks!

Lincoln, NH
8. Re: What trail MUST be do in Lincoln area?

I don't have my trail guide in front of me to confirm exact trails, but I did this hike about three years ago and there was no problem with trails being out.

Massachusetts
reviews: 8
9. Re: What trail MUST be do in Lincoln area?

Thanks! And if there are other "gotta do" hikes in the region, please do share those as it sounds like MikeV will be back up in October and I'm determined to get some new hikes in. We don't get up there every year, but it seems that every time I've stayed at Lafayette Campground - since 1983 - I've done at least the Falling Waters trail or that loop. It's like an old friend at this point...

10. Re: What trail MUST be do in Lincoln area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 08, 2014