We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Trip to New Hampshire and Vermont

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Fall Trip to New Hampshire and Vermont

Have been doing a lot of research for our fall trip and have about decided on an itinerary that has three days in the Jackson area, one day in Stowe, and three days in Woodstock. We would do day trips out from Jackson and Woodstock. Does this sound like a good division of time with plenty to keep us busy in each area? We would be in Jackson starting October 2nd and drive back to Boston on Oct. 9th to catch flight on the 10th. We could eliminate the night in Stowe and see that area as a day trip or on the way from Jackson to Woodstock if that makes more sense. I appreciate all suggestions and thanks in advance for any help.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
1. Re: Fall Trip to New Hampshire and Vermont

That is as good an option as any. Stowe and Woodstock are far enough away that you won't be overlapping. Only thing I would suggest is consider what it is you want to do in Stowe. If it is just walk around the town ( which is fairly spread out), unless you missed doing that in Jackson, the towns have some similarity. If you have specific things to do, like drive the notch to Smugglers or hike, etc then you could skip it.

I love both towns. Never sure why someone picks a place unless they tell us what they expect to get out of it.

Texas
2. Re: Fall Trip to New Hampshire and Vermont

Had thought we would do Smuggler's Notch as well as other scenic drives in the area, then drive down Hwy 100 seeing fall color and covered bridges, etc. and on over to Woodstock. I think I am trying to decide whether to stop and overnight somewhere in the Stowe area to allow more time or just make it a day trip from Jackson over to Hwy 100 and down to Woodstock. It's hard to know how long all this takes since I've never been there. It doesn't look far on the map, but I know from reading that it takes a lot longer than it looks especially when with traffic and making stops to see things. Thanks for the help!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 129
3. Re: Fall Trip to New Hampshire and Vermont

In general your timing should be good as far as travel times go -- September 2nd is the Monday of the Labor Day Weekend -- traditionally a hugely popular time to visit the Fall Foliage areas of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. However, most of the folks headed north to see the foliage that weekend will be heading for home on Monday, (the 2nd), so you should find far less traffic congestion during the week -- if you hit traffic that Monday, don't let it discourage you.... things will get better as the week goes along,

Jackson, New...
Destination Expert
for New Hampshire, White Mountains
reviews: 23
4. Re: Fall Trip to New Hampshire and Vermont

blh - Oct 2 to 9 is peak foliage so do expect a lot of traffic. Jackson - N Conway area is a very good area to base yourselves in. Most places require more then one night so Stowe may tun into a day trip if you can't find lodging. Do book ahead.

Hollis, New...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Fall Trip to New Hampshire and Vermont

Steady on, Mainer. We're not talking about Labor Day here, and if we were, there wouldn't be any foliage to speak of.

blhTexas, Mainer gives lots of great advice, but since I believe Texans use the same calendar we do, you can tell that he's jumbled things up a bit int his case.

Texas
6. Re: Fall Trip to New Hampshire and Vermont

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go ahead with one night in Stowe if I can make the reservation. That will give more time in the area since it's such a busy time of year traffic wise.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 129
7. Re: Fall Trip to New Hampshire and Vermont

Ooops -- many thanks to the folks who picked up on my Labor Day holiday gaff !! Haven't been able to keep the Fall calendar straight since we moved Daylight Savings Time.....

So, BLH, no Labor Day holiday to worry about -- but great advice about booking your reservations early... Fall foliage season does put a lot of pressure on available lodging in the White Mountains area....

San Jose, CA
reviews: 12
8. Re: Fall Trip to New Hampshire and Vermont

Hi,

What's "a lot of traffic". Are the cars lined up bumper to bumper? Are you traveling at 20mph the entire way?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Jackson, New...
reviews: 88
9. Re: Fall Trip to New Hampshire and Vermont

No, not bumper to bumper like in the city. But most of the "Highways" other than 91, 93 & 95 are just two lane roads, so if you get behind someone cruising along at 45mph enjoying the leafs, that is the speed you'll be doing for a good while. Most people underestimate the driving times between cities in NE.

Oh by the way we don't have traffic jams in NH we have "Moose Jams" that's when 20 cars stop in each direction in the middle of the road to take pictures of a MQQSE.

San Jose, CA
reviews: 12
10. Re: Fall Trip to New Hampshire and Vermont

Thanks for the traffic info. We are familiar with moose jams as well as buffalo jams from our Yellowstone trip several years ago. We could always tell where there was great wildlife to see from the number of cars parked on the side of the road. Looking forward to our trip to NH and VT in the fall!!

Get answers to your questions about Jackson