We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Trip

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Merritt Island...
reviews: 62
Christmas Trip

Looking to travel to New Hampshire the week after Christmas thru New Years. I'm not sure where to start looking but Jackson looked close. We want a small town feel, able to walk the streets to shop and eat but close to winter activities. We're not hard core skiers but would like that option. Tubing, zip lining, hiking, sledding, etc. Likely flying into Manchester.

I'd appreciate any recommendations on a town, hotel, etc.

2 adults and 2 teens from Fl. Not experienced in snow. We've been to Blowing Rock NC in winter a few times and like the feel of that small mountain town.

thanks

6 replies to this topic
Wolfeboro, New...
reviews: 35
1. Re: Christmas Trip

HI Tom

I live in Wolfeboro, NH and it definitely has the small town feel. There is also First Night activities if you are staying through to that: very family oriented.

More information here: http://firstnight.wolfeboro.net/

However, Wolfeboro is an hour away from the Ski Mountains in the Whites. There is great nordic sking in town when we have snow and a a great ski store to rent skis. Also a small town alpine hill that is reminiscent of the small community ski hills that used to populate New England towns. (again: if there is snow). THere are also other alpine ski areas closer: across lake is Gunstock.

Wolfeboro does get pretty quiet quickly at night and that happens even quicker in the winter. However, it is very family oriented and very safe.

Jackson, New...
Destination Expert
for New Hampshire, White Mountains
reviews: 23
2. Re: Christmas Trip

Hi Tom,

There are many small towns and villages that would fit with what you're looking for.

I'll give you some info on Jackson and the the surrounding area.

Here's some info you might find handy for your trip in the Jackson - N. Conway area.

If you like small b&b's I would recommed the Carter Notch Inn located on Carter Notch Rd owned by Dick and Sally from England. They are fantastic hosts and if you check the reviews, you can see for yourself. If they are booked try Whitney's which was just refurbished and has great comfy rooms. Don is the owner.

For more than a century, visitors have been “strolling the mile,” a mile-long village loop around Jackson. The “Village Mile” is one of nine walks and hikes outlined in a handy guide published by the Jackson Resort Association.

The Snowflake Inn is a newer inn in the town center (8 years old). Every room has a jacuzzi and fireplace. I think the room comes with an in room massage. The owner makes cookies/pastries for the guests.

The Inn at Thorn Hill is another nice place. They have a great restaurant and wine list and an in house spa. I have never seen the rooms but the original inn burnt down several years back and was rebuilt so it is also newer. It is slightly up the hill from the village (maybe 1/8 of a mile). They have gotten tons of awards (check out their website).

The Wentworth (www.thewentworth.com) is also a good choice. Lots of Europeans stay here. The owners Ellie & Fritz are from Europe (Ireland & Switzerland). They have some really great rooms (as pictured on the website) and some dated rooms so make sure you ask for the ones on the website. They are across the street from the Snowflake. They have a bar and a piano player on Fri/Sat nights. The restaurant is very good too..

The Lodge at Jackson Village is also a great choice . We also met the owners at an open house. They were very nice. The rooms are all very cute.

Eagle Mountain House and Christmas Farm Inn are two places you should take a look at..

As far as eating - lots of great places right in Jackson Village that you can walk to from any of the hotels I have mentioned:

Shannon Door Pub - Irish food, excellent pizzas and have Irish music on Fri/Sat -

J-Town Deli - great place for picking up groceries, good lunch sandwiches/picnic food, breakfast is okay, it is a great place to sit on Sunday with a newspaper and meet some of the locals.

Thompson House Eatery - mid to upscale dining - great food especially their salads.

Wildcat Tavern - fun on Tuesday nights, its an open Mike nite. They have a ok dining establishment and a pub. Under new ownership.

I have already mentioned the Wentworth & Inn at Thorn Hill - both are fine dining.

The Red Fox Pub - casual, affordable and really huge Sunday brunch. They have a kid's room where families sit and kids can run around and do what they want - play with toys, watch movies, etc. Located on rt 16 near the covered bridge.

It's also called the honeymoon bridge. Take a walk on it and you'll see lots of carved initials and names from years ago.

Yesterdays - awesome breakfast!!

Outside of Jackson try:

Horsefeathers in North Conway - has been around for years, great place, great food - casual dining but serve some unique foods. .

For a great Sunday Brunch (a bit expensive but well worth the price - need reservations) stop by the White Mountain Hotel in North Conway (off of West Side Road at Hales Location).

Also check out Mae Kelly's Cottage Restaurant North Conway - good food (Irish) - the owners are very nice. Lots of locals go here on Friday evenings

to have a few drinks and listen to the band.

For an Italian meal check out Bellini's in North Conway.

There is also good meals at Delaney's Hole in the Wall, North Conway (they serve everything but have great sushi). Fantastic peanut butter pie home made.

Try the Moat Mtn Pub for good food and home brewed beer.

The 1785 Inn (North Conway) is very upscale & expensive but the food was great.

The Lobster Trap is good if you are looking for seafood (casual dining on Westside Road in North Conway).

Hope this helps with your search.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
3. Re: Christmas Trip

NH has no shortage of small towns for your holiday vacation. I think your choice of Jackson is ideal. The local charm is what you're seeking. But the proximity to more snow sport options, shops, dining and services in the surrounding area, including North Conway is what really makes it the most appealing. Follow the advice from Dav. Know that with a base in Jackson you'll still spend time each day venturing further out to make the most of your visit.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 38
4. Re: Christmas Trip

Not much time to get educated about all that NH has to offer. If you can find a place in Jackson, go for it. More hotels/ motels in North Conway a shirt distance away.

Jackson, New...
reviews: 84
5. Re: Christmas Trip

Another Vote for Jackson. It sound like just what you are looking for. Small town, great restaurants, and minutes from ski areas and shopping. www.jacksonnh.com

Fleming Island...
reviews: 10
6. Re: Christmas Trip

G'day all!

We are an Aussie family living in Florida and we have heard that Jackson is a wonderful place to celebrate Christmas. We are looking to travel around the 22-28th of Dec and we would like to fit in some skiing and toddler ski lessons as well as see some of the local attractions. Are the answers above still relevant? Our daughter will just be 3.

Cheers

Reply to: Christmas Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jackson