We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Ideas???

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
reviews: 2
Any Ideas???

Looking for a quaint, clean place to stay in or near Jackson. Would love a place that you could enjoy the grounds, i.e. lakes, canoeing, reading by a relaxing area.

Thank you in advance!

13 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 36
1. Re: Any Ideas???

not really sure what you are looking for. Jackson is in mountains. Lakes region is to the south although Echo is not too far.

white mountain hotel may be an option.

http://www.whitemountainhotel.com/index.cfm

Otherwise, suggest looking at the lodging pages. If you do this from the WM forum instead of Jackson, you will get more options (which will include Jackson)

Kansas City...
2. Re: Any Ideas???

oh ok, thank you! :)

Antrim, New...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Any Ideas???

When will you be in the area, for how long, how are you getting here, and how far do you want to drive. As neslaw points out, the Lakes region, anchored by Winnipesaukee, is just south of the White Moountains. Winni is a very large lake, but there are many other smaller to very small and quiet lakes in that region. Another region heavy in small to medium sized lakes is the Monadnock Region, in southwest NH. Beautiful area and very quaint, generally less busy than the Lakes region in high season.

And finally, for something a bit different, you cold go to the northern lakes above the White Mountains. Much more sparsely populated, a lot of wildlife, great place to see moose (though they are everywhere these days), and some beautiful, pristine lakes. There are a lot of cottages, lodges, etc up in that area. But this area is about 4 hours from Manchester Airport. I am talking about the Colebrook/Pittsburg area (next stop, Canada). I can recommend a lodge I have stayed at that also has an excellent restaurant - Tall Timbers Lodge and Cabins. But there are many other equally nice places up there.

Kansas City...
4. Re: Any Ideas???

Going to be there end of September. Looking to spend 2 nights, before we fly out of Manchester on the 30th.

Thanks

Kansas City...
5. Re: Any Ideas???

Really didn't want to go much farther north, as we are planning on going to Vermont from there.

Antrim, New...
reviews: 13
6. Re: Any Ideas???

I don't know what you destination or agenda are in Vermont, but if you want lakes, you might look in the Dartmouth/Lake Sunapee region - Lake Sunapee and Mascoma Lake are very beautiful and decent sized lakes, and there are many other nice lakes in that region. All of this would be along the I-89 corridor, which is one of the main routes from Manchester to Vermont, particularly of you are going to the Woodstock area or Stowe and Burlington.

Of course, your original querry, Jackson, would be a great pllace for foliage durignt he week you will be there. But no lake.

Kansas City...
7. Re: Any Ideas???

oh ok, great, thank you.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 51
8. Re: Any Ideas???

Check out the Wentworth in Jackson. They're on a golf course, near a pretty white steepled-church and not far from the Jackson falls. To my knowledge, there's no lake in Jackson.

London
reviews: 52
9. Re: Any Ideas???

Help/advice needed in planning our trip to NE next year. Following a two night stop in Weston, we were planning to go to Stowe for 2, then on to Jackson for 3 but am now concerned that Stowe & Jackson would be "too similar"; would it be better to head for any of the lake areas instead? After that area we would be heading to Belfast. We will be there in June and really are just looking to see as much of the differing areas of NE as possible. We are two adults, late 60's (going on 20's!) but are not into "mountaineering" - not yet anyway!

Any help fellow Trip Advisors can give would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 36
10. Re: Any Ideas???

may want to start new topic instead of adding onto an old question. While there are similarities between Stowe and NC, they are not the same. And it kind of depends on why you want to visit the area- not just cause others say it is popular.

The White Mountain area is different from the Green mountains, think tall rugged peaks vs more rolling hills. and Mt Washington is an imposing presence over the entire region. plenty of hiking, long walks available to you.

Stowe is a more spread out town with lots of quaint shops, etc.

Besides the town, you are close to Burlington and lake champlain. Trapp Family Lodge has tours. Ben and Jerry's ice cream (wouldn't travel there just for that but if in the area...)

Should you visit a lake area instead? You would not be wrong to do this because there really aren't any right or wrong answers. Do your online homework and decide WHY you are going someplace instead of picking a destination and then wondering what to do and that may help you choose.

You should also figure out how much driving you are doing vs how much experiencing. I would rather take a slow 10 mile bike ride than drive past 50 miles of forest.

get the glossy free visitor guides for all the states as a starting point. You have plenty of time and June is not high season yet (although 7/4 week is)

Reply to: Any Ideas???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted