We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to White Mountains/Gorham area Need HELP

Which Gorham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge...
Going to White Mountains/Gorham area Need HELP

I have been doing lots of research on this area. The only thing that is frightening my husband and I is, it seems like we picked "Bikers week". What luck!!! We plan on being in the area from June 11 to June 14, 2006. It looks like the auto trail is closed? on June 12, 2006 for the bikers? Does anyone know how rowdy the bikers are during this week adventure? Are we going to have any other closed sight seeing adventures during our time that I haven't found yet? Another BIG question. We have two places we can stay at, the Top Notch INN and Royalty INN Resort. Which one should we pick? Is the Top Notch Inn really nice? I know its cheap but things that are cheap can end up more expensive in the long run. Or is there any other highly advice place to stay. Where should we eat? Please help make this an adventure of a life time for us. I appreciate any help.

Thank You

Southern New...
reviews: 26
1. Re: Going to White Mountains/Gorham area Need HELP

Hi SuzyQ,

Can't assist with the Royalty Inn as I'm not familar with it. About 15 years ago I stayed at the Top Notch. I recall it being near an intersection and being clean with small rooms. Have driven by since and it still looks well kept. Gorham is an okay small town and nearby to Mt Washington. It's not where I would suggest now but if your heart (and plans) are set on Gorham why not check out The Town & Country?

http://www.townandcountryinn.com/

As a suggestion you might want to look into Jackson and North Conway, NH. Both are in Mt Washington Valley and near to Mt Washington but just south.

http://www.jacksonnh.com/

www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/

These two towns will give you a real New Hampshire experience. I believe that you'll find them higher priced than Gorham but the experience will be worth the difference.

North Conway will offer a variety of motels, Inns and B&Bs. Jackson will be mostly B&Bs and Inns.

As for the bikers don't worry as the rowdy days went out years ago. They're nice folks and a true cross section of the American people. From a computer geek to a doctor to a black leather dude, you'll find them all. They mostly hang around in the Laconia or Loudon area and will be nowhere near where your plans are unless out on a ride. Highway traffic will be busy on the Thurs/Fri and Sun of that weekend. The Laconia area will be busy the entire weekend.

Just come on up to New Hampshire. I'm sure that you'll enjoy yourself. Do be careful when driving in early mornings or near dusk though as in mid June the moose are roaming. Last year's yearlings have been thrown out while the mama's are awaiting this years new one.

Hudson, New...
reviews: 26
2. Re: Going to White Mountains/Gorham area Need HELP

Most of the bikers are professionals or family people who ride on weekends, just beware there are tons of people on the roads, it is kind of interesting as a non-biker to watch what seems like mile long strings of biker groups riding by. My two year old loves the noise. But they seem to be good people and in 12 years I can't remember any reports of problems. The biker's seem to be the ones in danger from the car drivers, since there are always reports of bikers injured or even killed every year.

You can't go wrong anywhere in that area. There are alternatives to the autoroad to get to the top and the autoroad and not the best idea if you want to keep your car past 100,000 miles, since coming down does a job on your breaks, all you can smell are burning breaks on the ride down. Have a great time and I would echo the recommendation of North Conway.

Kansas City
reviews: 3
3. Re: Going to White Mountains/Gorham area Need HELP

Hi SuzyQ,

I grew up in Gorham, but have since moved away. However, I still go back to visit family & friends.

First: Do not be afraid of Bikers' Week. Most of them will stay south (Laconia, Loudon, etc.). However, Many of them WILL be riding the Kangamangus Highway (a beautiful, scenic drive) up north.

Mt. Washington: Suggest that you take a ride on the Cog Railroad. Unique in that the locomotive is downhill of the passenger car. Relax, enjoy the view, and take pictures. get off at the top and on a clear day see into Canada. Beats driving-trying to stay on the twisting road while sightseeing and looking for places to stop and take pictures, to say nothing of the braking ride back down. If you do take the Cog, don't wear your best clothes as the smoke can be "sooty" and although the day may be warm and sunny at the bottom it will probably be windy and cold at the top so bring coat/hat/gloves.

If you have to stay in Gorham, I suggest either the Royalty Inn or the Town & Country. However, there is not much to see/do in the Gorham area. If you want to be entertained/shop/dine/etc. I suggest that you stay in Jackson, Bretton Woods, Intervale, or one of the Conways. North Conway is a traffic pain but has LOTS of outlet stores.

Hope that this helps. Have a grest time!

The Great State of...
reviews: 21
4. Re: Going to White Mountains/Gorham area Need HELP

Another vote for you to consider Jackson instead of Gorham. It's a sweet little town with some very nice lodging. Shop in Conway, and drive around and see the Mt Washignton hotel, but stay in Jackson.

About Mt. Washington, I've driven the auto road three times and my car is at 160k and feeling fine. I prefer driving because I can pull over along the way, and get out and walk around and enjoy the subtle and not so sublte difference of the various elevations. Stop a few times on the way down to give your brakes a rest. Take a picnic lunch and eat it mountain side.

You want to be able to remain flexible about which day you pick to drive up to the summit. In order to have a view you want the clearest day possible. Don't lock yourself into having to go on a set date because if you wake up and the summit is in the clouds that day, then you won't see a thing. So, pick the clearest day possible and have a terrific view.

And dress extremely warm, including closed-toed shoes and socks. June can still be chilly in Northern New England, and the summit could be 30 degrees colder than the base with winds swirling at 30+ mph!

Get answers to your questions about Gorham