We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing at Cranmore vs Attitash

Which Conway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 16
Skiing at Cranmore vs Attitash

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get some opinions on the two areas. Usually I take my daughter skiing every winter for a week, but currently I have a meniscal tear in my knee, so I think skiing for me is out this year. Unfortunately, living in IL, none of her friends ski.

My father lives in North Conway, so I was thinking she could go stay with him over Christmas break and do full day lesson programs since neither of my parents really ski anymore. We usually go to Smuggler's Notch in VT, but I don't want to pay for it if she's the only one skiing.

I have never skied either one, so I wanted to see if anyone could comment on the skiing and the ski school at either one to see which would be a better bet. It looks like those are the closest two areas to N Conway. She can ski black diamonds at Smuggs.

Thanks for any advice.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
1. Re: Skiing at Cranmore vs Attitash

I can't comment on the ski schools ( which really is dependent on who your specific instructor may be) but I really enjoyed Attitash last Xmas. Great views and lots of interesting trails between the two peaks.

Didn't even go over to Cranmore as it is not considered as "difficult" a mountain. If she is skiing blacks, why full day ski school?

Illinois
2. Re: Skiing at Cranmore vs Attitash

I was looking for someone to ski with her. At Smuggs they take even the advanced kids in groups to ski for the day.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
3. Re: Skiing at Cranmore vs Attitash

Well as you get closer, contact the ski schools. It is not unusual to book a regular lesson and end up with a private one when the skier is more advanced.

N Dartmouth MA
reviews: 67
4. Re: Skiing at Cranmore vs Attitash

How old is your daughter? I don't recall either place having ski companion type lessons. It's lessons, rentals and lift ticket. You'd probably have to go with a private lesson. If she is skiing diamonds either mtn is good. My kids learned to ski at Attitash. Like Neslaw said it's only as good as the instructor. Cranmore is more family orientated I think. Too bad you couldn't get a friend to go with her. She could try snowboarding. Cranmore has snow tubing there as well. Money wise Cranmore is a better deal. I find Attitash very expensive but you're getting two mountains to ski. Check out this website.

www.skinh.com

Illinois
5. Re: Skiing at Cranmore vs Attitash

She is 11. What I've seen before is just called a full day lesson, but divided so the more advanced skiers go off to the more advanced trails. They have an instructor with them and the groups tend to be smaller. I just don't think 11 is old enough to ski by herself. I don't really think skiing alone is a great idea anyway, I don't have that much faith in everyone else on the slopes wanting to help me if I'm injured, but especially not an 11 year old.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
6. Re: Skiing at Cranmore vs Attitash

I agree with you and a lesson geared to advanced skiers should be fairly small.

N Dartmouth MA
reviews: 67
7. Re: Skiing at Cranmore vs Attitash

I wouldn't let my 11 yr old ski alone either. When you sign up for lessons they usually ask about your skiing abilities so they know where to group you with other skiers. It will be busy so I would probably send each resort an email when the season opens (usually the end of Nov)and see what they offer. Book ahead if necessary.

8. Re: Skiing at Cranmore vs Attitash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 11, 2010