We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Reno to San Fransisco

Which Reno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chaska, Minnesota
reviews: 2
Best route from Reno to San Fransisco

Hi - we are planning to fly into Reno on a Saturday and need to be in San Fran by late Wednesday (in October). What is the best route? what are the can't miss stops to make the trip fun? Thanks.

Portland
reviews: 15
1. Re: Best route from Reno to San Fransisco

Not sure what the "best" route means, but if you want a straight-line and "quickest" route, you simply take I-80 through Donner Pass to Sacramento to San Fran.

Oregon
reviews: 16
2. Re: Best route from Reno to San Fransisco

It's not the easiest or fastest route, but a "CAN'T MISS" is Lake Tahoe, via Mt Rose hwy. from so. Reno. Then continue on 50, through So. Lk. Tahoe, to the Sacramento area.

Since you have 4 days, stay up there for a night or two, after a night or two in Reno. Virginia City and the Nevada State Museum in Carson City make a great 3/4 day loop trip.

Weather can be a problem in October, though. If it looks bad the whole 4 days, just head on over the pass on I-80, as Searcy said, and spend some time in SF.

Chaska, Minnesota
reviews: 2
3. Re: Best route from Reno to San Fransisco

Thanks. We have a few days so we want to stop to see/do things along the way. Since we are traveling during the week of October 7th I am hoping the roads will be okay.

Edited: 5:34 am, June 20, 2012
Tarrytown, New York
Destination Expert
for Reno
reviews: 6
4. Re: Best route from Reno to San Fransisco

If your planning to stop and see things, then Wolfdog's suggestion is good otherwise for a quick trip to San Fran go with Searcyone

Tigre, Argentina
reviews: 68
5. Re: Best route from Reno to San Fransisco

Is it a passable route in December between Reno and San Francisco to make by car ?

Thanks

Alberto

Reno, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Reno
reviews: 23
6. Re: Best route from Reno to San Fransisco

Yes, it is passable, but can be extremely slow in bad weather, and often may require chains or 4WD.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 584
7. Re: Best route from Reno to San Fransisco

In general, the mountain area is the most fun.....and you have both routes I80 and I50 described above.

Then there is the flat delta area and Sacramento. For Sacramento, Old Sacramento is fun for a brief stop.

http://oldsacramento.com/

If you hare taking I80 into San Francisco, you could make a detour from I80 and go see Napa Valley. There is an exit from the road and you could be in Napa in half hour or so.

In general, once you leave the mountain areas, its more of a "get it done" type drive than to look for something fun to see. Have a good time.

8. Re: Best route from Reno to San Fransisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:47 pm, July 09, 2013