We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to wow my sister?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denmark
How to wow my sister?

First of all, being from Denmark, I am not use to write in English, so I hope you forgive my poor attempt...

In April 2014, I'm taking my sister for her first visit to LV. I have been there 3 times before. She is 30 and I'm turning 40.

As a surprise, I want to find places/things to do, on our first day, that will wow her (is that the right expression? )

We will arrive around 9 pm on a Saturday, and will be staying at the GN.

The first night I guess we will just get something to eat, see a show at the Fremont Exp. and then head for bed - after an 18 hour flight, I don't think we are up for anything special.

But what to do/show her first on Sunday?

- I want to take her someplace special for a drink.

- Nightclub?

- Gambling...she has never tried this before. Should we take a course?

- Dinning? Buffet or?

As I said, I've been to LV 3. ties before, last time was in 2008, and I guess pretty much changes since then. I hope you can come up with some tips of things to see/do, that are a bit more funny/special than the "usually stuff", like the Fountains at B or just seeing the Strip Hotels, which of cause I will show her.

Thank you!

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 69
11. Re: How to wow my sister?

Yes, definitely a spa. Qua is my favorite. Don't bother with one that's not recommended. Huge difference.

Wheat Ridge...
reviews: 4
12. Re: How to wow my sister?

All the spas at the top hotels at stunning. My wife likes Bellagio, but she formed that opinion before Cosmo and Aria were built and Caesar's redid their Qua Spa. The're not cheap, but these high end spas are quite an experience.

Try to get a room in the park and spend a night at Grand Canyon National Park, if you can spare the night. Check their web site but I'd think you could get a room on a date that would work this far out:

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
13. Re: How to wow my sister?

Wheatie is of course right. Staying Downtown is a big mistake for a 1st visit. By all means visit Downtown one night, but stay on the Strip. Just because YOU like Downtown doesn't make it the best choice for a 1st trip. If you have the option, I sincerely recommned that you reconsider this choice. If need be stay at a 2 star choice such as Ballys, Flamingo or NYNY if you can't afford the 3 star hotels.

"By the way - any ideas about Spas?"

Yes Las Vegas hotels have incredible spas. But guess where they are? In the Strip hotels. All of the 4 star hotels have great spas, and I'm sure your sister would enjoy spending time in one.

Denmark
14. Re: How to wow my sister?

You're right! I forgot to mention, that we are moving to a hotel near the Strip after 4 days downtown, so she will try the other end too ;-)

Wheat Ridge...
15. Re: How to wow my sister?

Near the strip? Hopefully you mean ON the strip.

OK, but cut back the downtown part of your visit to two nights. On our first visit we did four or five nights at GN then two at Bellagio. We were like "HOLY COW we missed the real deal!" Fortunately that was when Harrahs (now Caesars) was giving out rooms comps like candy so we made it back a few months later. Most trips we do head downtown at least a time or two. But never stayed down there again.

tripymea
16. Re: How to wow my sister?

I'd highly recommend the Mandarin Bar at the Mandarin Hotel. It's one of the best views in Vegas and the atmosphere is awesome. Great spot for a cocktail. Google it for reviews - trust me you won't be disappointed. Night is best. Enjoy!

Menifee CA
reviews: 6
17. Re: How to wow my sister?

How are you getting about? Taxi? Bus? Rental car? If you stay down town for the value, you'll find that you're spending a lot of money just going back and forth to the strip. Save the money on transportation and stay on the strip near the action.

tripymea
18. Re: How to wow my sister?

I agree with the others. Stay on the strip. Stay overnight if visiting the Grand Canyon. Or A helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon maybe a better choice if your time in Vegas is limited. And read the wizard of odds website about the games. You can practice them as well on that website. That's the best tip if you want to gamble!

oswego,ny
reviews: 79
19. Re: How to wow my sister?

You stay where ever you like. but i would recomend having the rental car for most of the trip. it will save you $$ and you dont have to be on someone else's schedule. Hope you have a great time.we are doing a heli trip to GC this year i cant wait!

loveland, co
20. Re: How to wow my sister?

We stay downtown and rent a car. Downtown is changing. They are trying to attract a younger crowd.

Also with the construction on Fremont it's hard to see the show all the way from one end to the other like you used to. We watched from the balcony of The D (formally the Fitz). Go up the stairs from street.

The zip line (Fremont street) is a WOW. It is cheaper if you go in the afternoon and the lines are shorter.

You have plenty of time to plan you trip. Do a lot of research on everything.

Maybe 2 nights downtown and the rest on the strip. There are some hotels that are lower priced.