We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - frugal gambler

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chattanooga...
reviews: 37
Trip Report - frugal gambler

Three day trip. Solo. Gambling trip taking advantage of the many specials in Vegas. I use this board all the time for planning purposes and wanted to give a little back. Hope some of y'all find my experiences informative.

Chattanooga...
1. Re: Trip Report - frugal gambler

Flew into Vegas Monday and arrived at the Imperial Palace 5:00pm or so for a 45 minute wait at check-in. I was solo and planned on a nice gambling trip and not much more. The IP takes a beating on this board and deservedly so. The place is truly a dump. It was probably my 4th stay here, and for the solo guy looking for a place to crash at night, I have a hard time turning down $21 / night deluxe room (Tower-1) with no resort fees. I would likely stay here again for the bargain, but would not when my wife is along. Even my next solo trip, I plan to spend more time shopping around. I’m not a fussy traveler, but with the slow drains, stained carpet, old equipment, et al. the IP has really taken on a Motel-6 feel. But hey, the price is right for this kind of trip. Ironically the linq project, while a nuisance, kept a lot of foot traffic away and wasn’t any big deal at all. Off to the Monte Carlo. I only play blackjack at MGM properties, as the tables rules greatly exceed CET. At peak time, I wasn’t surprised that there were no $5 tables, but settled into a $10 table an played until well after midnight. Won $270 total and decided to move on. I had been pounding the Jack/cokes and didn’t realize how drunk I was until I got onto the strip. I put my MP3 player on an headed to MGM. Being fairly loaded, listening to tunes with headphones, and walking down the strip late at night, I felt pretty cool. While I’m sure I looked the fool, but I was on vacation and pleased none-the-less. I had heard rumors of $5 blackjack at MGM and needed to verify for myself. A group of blackjack tables near the lobby were set at $10. Not too shabby, I thought. The dealer mentioned that during the slower times these tables (near the lobby) dropped to $5, so thanks to posters on this board for that information. $5 black at MGM!! I played a few shoes, until I realized I was too drunk to count cards, and called it a night loosing about $30, but still up over $200 for the night. Put my headphones on and started my long walk back to the IP. Man my dogs were barking by the time I got back at about 3:30. I crashed hard. No meals yet. More to come…..

worksop
reviews: 2
2. Re: Trip Report - frugal gambler

I dont think many would disagree with you about IP. The price like you say is fantastic though. And the low end hotels are getting fewer unfortunately.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 34
3. Re: Trip Report - frugal gambler

you brought your dogs with you? or is that just an expression

Chattanooga...
4. Re: Trip Report - frugal gambler

Just an expression, lol

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 13
5. Re: Trip Report - frugal gambler

forget your dogs! how were your feet!!!! ;-)

Henderson, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
reviews: 11
6. Re: Trip Report - frugal gambler

My dogs often bark in LV, when I say that I know I confuse people. :-)

London, United...
reviews: 9
7. Re: Trip Report - frugal gambler

Bo1995, I use that expression as well. But now my dogs are barking just by reading about yours! LOL

Toronto,Canada
reviews: 2
8. Re: Trip Report - frugal gambler

i always use that expression

I thought it was pretty common- obviously i was mistaken

Chattanooga...
9. Re: Trip Report - frugal gambler

Tuesday: I was pleasantly surprised to wake up about 6:30am and feeling reasonably refreshed with only 3 hours of sleep. The buzz from the night before still ringing in my head likely provided a false sense of awakeness. In any case, I took advantage and started to get ready for the day. Headed to Spice Market Buffet in Planet Hollywood for breakfast. Used the coupon found here for $5 off.

destinationcoupons.com/nevada/las_vegas/spic…

This brought the price down to $11, which includes the drinks, My strategy on solo trips is to have a large breakfast that can hold mo over for the most of the day. I’ve been to this buffet many times before, but this was the first time for breakfast. The breakfast selection was nothing great and I wouldn’t recommend for the $16 base price. The usual suspects: omelet station, all sorts of eggs, meats, cereals, pastries, fruit, etc. Was hoping to walk by something and say, “I wasn’t expecting that, but let’s try some”. Didn’t happen. The service was atrocious. I never had my coffee refilled once without asking. I asked three times for more, and only once did the server oblige. I am not a doucebag that treats folks poorly and did nothing to deserve such poor treatment. The server was just more interested in the soccer game playing on TV than my caffeine intake. So I decided to enjoy my meal and my two cups of coffee, I could get more while gambling. First time ever I left a table without tipping. Too bad for her, I’m a good tipper. To the Cosmo for the $100 free play deal. I am not a slots gambler at all, but wanted to try this deal. Signed up for the identity card, put $100 in a $5 slot machine, and lost my $100 in about 7 minutes. Got the $100 free play and headed to video blackjack. Per plan, I basically broke even (about 50/50) but ended with $102.50 after the $100 free play. Hey, won $2.50!! could have been worse. Of course, I was hoping to hit something big on $5 slots. Back to the Monte Carlo for a long day at the blackjack table. I played straight trough my dealers shift, of which we joked about throughout the day. I find the challenge of concentration at the blackjack table relaxing, and they bring my free ($1) drinks all day to boot. I graduated from coffee, to bloody marys, to screw drivers, to Corona, to jack/cokes throughout the day. The variety of personalities one sees all day is staggering and entertaining to no end. Blackjack dealers are the most patient folks I have ever met. Ended up another $200 today. Dinner: I received a $5 off coupon for the Le Burger Brasserie with my welcome package from the IP. I was planning on going to either Stripburger, BLT Burger, or Burger Bar, but the $5 coupon was too juicy to resist. Brought the price from $12-$7. My burger was good, but would still check out the other burger spots before going back, which tend to get better reviews. Sat at the bar, and LuLu was just a sweetheart. Made me feel important, even thought its her job, it felt sincere. Tipped 50%. It was 10:00pm and working on 3-hours of sleep, I headed back to crash.

Georgia
reviews: 3
10. Re: Trip Report - frugal gambler

Loving your review Bo..thanks for posting