We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin cancelled our return flight

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 4
Virgin cancelled our return flight

My husband and I decided to take the plunge and booked our trip of a lifetime for my husbands 40th birthday to Las Vegas without our children. Yesterday I was contacted by our travel provider to advise that Virgin had cancelled our return flight on 22nd Feb 2012 due to operational reasons.

Our travel provider offered us a return flight a day later which would mean being away from our children for an extra day - which is out of the question for us. Virgin would provide us with a full refund, however, we could not get a full refund on the hotel we already booked (Mandarin Oriental).

We were therefore faced with the choice of cancelling completely and having to pay the hotel cancellation charge of 92 EUR, booking an extra night at the Mandarin Oriental and staying another day or trying to transfer to another airline with more costs! Either way, we lose out! We finally decided to transfer to BA which has cost us another £175 as theyflights are now more expensive than when we originally booked.

Has anyone been in a similar position before and is it worth trying to claim from either our travel insurance or Virgin for the extra costs. It seems that as a customer, we are our of pocket for no fault of our own..... You may think us crazy for not just staying another night but having never left our children....we wanted to minimise the length of time we were away from them...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brighton
reviews: 29
1. Re: Virgin cancelled our return flight

Unfortunately, they've done this to a lot of people. I wish they'd contact their customers before booking the flight and give everyone the option to extend or decrease their stay by a day, not just rebook the flights without any consultation.

If you do a search on this topic, you'll see a lot of flights from November were changed without permission. If you are insured, ask your insurer if you are covered for any of the extra charges.

Tempe, AZ
2. Re: Virgin cancelled our return flight

If you bought travel insurance, this is exactly what it is for. Use it.

Boston...
reviews: 18
3. Re: Virgin cancelled our return flight

"Has anyone been in a similar position before"

Yes, I would think just about anyone who travels on a regular basis has had a flight cancelled or an itinerary changed. There are plenty of terrible injustices and tragedies in the world. This is not one of them. I would say be thankful you are blessed in ways that allow you to take your "trip of a lifetime", and not dwell on the fact that you have to make a concession or pay an extra fee.

Life is too short to let something like this bother you.

kent
reviews: 31
4. Re: Virgin cancelled our return flight

personally i can't see what difference 1 extra day would make, obviously your children are being well cared for while your away and if you were that bothered you wouldn't go anyway.

Irvine, California
5. Re: Virgin cancelled our return flight

You need to check the T&Cs of your insurance. It's possible that you won't be covered for a flight being put back by 24 hours when you've been given a couple of months' notice. Hopefully I'm wrong! I doubt that Virgin will compensate you but I'm no expert on EU regulations which I know are generally more favorable to the passenger than those in the US. But again I suspect the notice you've been given isn't in your favor.

Regarding the hotel, without wishing to sound harsh, unless you're traveling at very short notice it's always best to make a reservation that can be canceled without penalty.

Good luck with your efforts to get some of your money back and have a great trip despite this setback!

Palm Springs...
reviews: 6
6. Re: Virgin cancelled our return flight

Sorry ,but things happen

Nothing in todays world is 100% guaranteed !!!

Dallas, TX
reviews: 29
7. Re: Virgin cancelled our return flight

I bought travel insurance once. Never again. We lost 1.5 days of a Jamaican vacation because our connecting flight in Miami was cancelled the day prior, so AA cancelled our entire itinerary and re-booked it for the next afternoon. They claimed it was weather related. Neither AA or the travel insurance would cover the lost money for the resort in Jamaica...or do anything else for that matter.

Travel insurance = worthless.

Irvine, California
8. Re: Virgin cancelled our return flight

dasjman, I agree that travel insurance can be very hit and miss when it comes to things like flights being delayed or canceled, but for overseas travelers visiting the US it's pretty much essential should they be in the unfortunate position of requiring medical attention.

NJ
reviews: 10
9. Re: Virgin cancelled our return flight

Atleast Virgin told you way in advance.

The old United (not the Continental side) has cancelled flights on me and never informed me. They've actually done it 3 times. They have also cancelled my seats to Hawaii which I had for 9 months and gave my seats away. The current flight they cancelled which I pre-paid upgrade for and are still sitting on my money.

Can you keep your Virgin flight to LAS and get a return flight on another airline back to Heathrow? One way tickets are not like they used to be and are half the roundtrip price.

London, United...
10. Re: Virgin cancelled our return flight

No VegasfanNj, Travel republic who we booked through said we had to travel on the same carrier both ways. We have now rebooked through BA for the same dates and paid the excess.

Searching this forum as another poster suggested has opened my eyes as to how often this type of thing happens.

Thanks to all those replying with helpful comments - I think I will just chalk this one up to experience and hope things are plain sailing from now on...