We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe

Which Incline Village hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eau Claire...
reviews: 21
Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe

We are headed to Lake Tahoe (near Stateline) and want to take a boat tour. Does anyone have any advice as to the best tour company to go through??

13 replies to this topic
Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
1. Re: Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe

It is hard to say what is the "best". There are many choices out there. The most popular boat tours are the big paddlewheel boats that hold about 500 people: MS Dixie ll (Zephyr Cove) and the Tahoe Queen (ski run pier). There are some smaller boats such as the Bleu Wave and the Tahoe Star that I prefer over the big paddlewheel boats.

There are also a few others that might interest you- The Tahoe Paradise (a large yacht) or how about a sailing one- The Woodward ll? There is also a speed boat- Tahoe Thunder and the Tahoe Party Boat. I have never been on any of the above, so no personal expierence. There are also cruise boats that leave from North Tahoe, but I did not mention those.

Some of these offer dinner cruises, live music, lunch cruises or just a drink and a snack for purchase. I would not recommend a dinner cruise, as the food seems to be - ok, but pricey. There are better choices for a dinner on shore.

I have been on 4 boat cruises and I enjoyed the Bleu Wave (lunch) the most- just my personal preference. I am sure others have their own favorites.

reviews: 65
2. Re: Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe

My only experience was with the MS Dixie II. I believe that besides the above mentioned cruises, I believe there is a catamaran cruise out of Zephyr cove as well.

http://www.zephyrcove.com/cruises.aspx

Eau Claire...
3. Re: Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe

Great! Thanks so much!

Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe

After re-reading your question, I see you mentioned booking with a tour company. No need to go through a middle man, just book directly with whatever cruise outfit you decide to use.

Also, I forgot to mention, it is possible you might be able to pick up a discount coupon from your lodging location. Still another thing- Some of these outfits offer free transportation from the larger hotels at the Stateline area.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
5. Re: Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe

Are you flying into Reno? When we arrive at RNO, we pick up all the flyers and brochures for Tahoe at baggage claim. Lots of coupons in them.

We took the MS Dixie 2 as the price was right for our family of 6. Someday we'd love to take the expensive wooden boats for a tour.

The Dixie offered a lunch if you wanted, a snack bar, and 3 decks to walk around, which we enjoyed.

Eau Claire...
6. Re: Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe

Great! We are flying into Reno! We will grab some brochures. Thank you!

California
reviews: 312
7. Re: Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe

Definitely by sailboat . Checkout tahoesail.com. We often take guests on the sunset sailing tours. Beautiful. The Dixie is okay, but better viewing by sailboat.

Sacramento...
reviews: 28
8. Re: Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe

We just returned from Tahoe and for others wondering the same, we really enjoyed our ride on the Sierra Cloud Catamaran, which takes off from the Hyatt's pier. The ride was nice, taking us south along the coastline, and the captain was very knowledgeable. He gave us lots of great info about the area's history. They included wine, beer, soda, fresh fruit and cheese and crackers. It was definitely a highlight of our trip and a very good value at the rate charged.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
9. Re: Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe

We love the sunset sail on the Sierra Cloud when staying in Tahoe. Glad you had a wonderful time as well.

Ripon, California
10. Re: Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe

I just got back from a weekend in Tahoe. After the Lake Tahoe Marathon, our entire running team (about 40 people) celebrated with a cruise on the "Tahoe Paradise." Everything was great -- tasty and plentiful snacks, comfortable seating, smooth sailing, and gorgeous views of the lake. The bartender whipped up all kinds of mixed drinks with incredible speed; the bar was well-stocked with liquor, beers, wine, sodas, and water. Some team members opted to relax in the downstairs banquet area or out on the decks, but the crew kept the party going in the upstairs room with dance music, cheerfully accommodating constant requests from the passengers. This is a well-run operation; I would book another party with them anytime!

Reply to: Best boat tours of Lake Tahoe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted