We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions for Beatty Mudmound

Which Beatty hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mojave, California
reviews: 85
Directions for Beatty Mudmound

Trying to find directions off Daylight Pass for the trail/road/or cross-country path to the Beatty Mudmound to view the fossils. Any help would be appreciated. Going this weekend-Feb. 1, 2, 3, 2013.

8 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 9
1. Re: Directions for Beatty Mudmound

Go to the Death Valley National Park forum. Frisco Roadrunner may have an answer for you.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 42
2. Re: Directions for Beatty Mudmound

I am so sorry I didn't see this thread before. I wonder if avidhiker went on this trip and found the Mudmound.

The Beatty Mudmound is a couple miles southeast of Beatty and can be seen from the Daylight Pass Road. I have not actually hiked up to the fossils, but want to. So I don't have an exact location for a trailhead either. Maybe part of the adventure is in finding it. :)

Here is a website with descriptions and pictures.

…coffeecup.com/site/beatty/beattyfossils.html

If you have Michel Digonnet's book, "Hikers' Guide to Death Valley," it has several descriptions of locations within Death Valley National Park where fossils can be seen.

Pico Rivera...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Directions for Beatty Mudmound

I thought I would give this a bump since my wife and I are headed to Beatty / Death Valley on Memorial weekend in a couple of weeks. I am interested in finding this site.....does anyone know where to start? Thanks in advance!

Pacific Northwest...
4. Re: Directions for Beatty Mudmound

"Does anyone know where to start?" Jesse, did you read the post above yours? Tells you where to start.

Pico Rivera...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Directions for Beatty Mudmound

Zig,

Yes I read it...I guess I was looking for the location of a trail head.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 42
6. Re: Directions for Beatty Mudmound

The Beatty Mudmound is a light-colored oblongish limestone outcropping on the west side of Bare Mountain a couple miles south of town. It stands out and can be seen for miles along Daylight Pass Road coming up from Death Valley. Here is a picture of it.

…coffeecup.com/site/…beattymudmound2.jpg

As the thread about Mitchell Caverns on the Calif. Desert forum shows, irreplaceable artifacts and other historic or natural features are regarded as fair game by some predators—and that’s exactly what people are who destroy or steal for the pleasure of destroying or stealing. Petroglyphs, fossil remains, and other ancient objects often cannot be replaced or restored once they have been removed or damaged by selfish, thoughtless thrill-seekers or profiteers.

You may have noticed that I sometimes talk about petroglyphs, pictographs, backcountry mine sites, and other secret hideaways without giving specific directions. It isn’t because I don’t trust TAs; it’s because once something is on the web, it’s out there for every predator to see, and no public land agency can keep watch 24/7/365. So putting out exact directions to a trailhead, parking area, or other easily distinguished landmark would be asking for trouble.

Beatty, Nevada
7. Re: Directions for Beatty Mudmound

The Beatty Mudmound is on Meiklejohn Peak, not Bare Mountain.

Death Valley...
8. Re: Directions for Beatty Mudmound

As used in relationship to the Beatty Mudmound, Bare Mountain is considered to encompass the entire "range" of peaks, one of which happens to be named named Meiklejohn Peak. It's a semantics thing. Bare Mountain is used correctly in reference to the geographic location of the Beatty Mudmound.

Reply to: Directions for Beatty Mudmound
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted