We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toadstool Geological Park

South Florida...
reviews: 60
Toadstool Geological Park

I saw this in the Nebraska tourism magazine.

It sounds like an interesting place but I am concerned about the rough gravel road. We are driving a new Class B RV travel van.

I have not been able to find a lot of information about this park.

It isn't on any of the maps either.

Is it worth the drive ? Is it very different from what we will see in the Badlands National Park ?

We will be traveling from the Badlands/Custer to Scottsbluff.

7 replies to this topic
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 106
1. Re: Toadstool Geological Park

Haven't been to that one, but I like Mushroom Rock State Park in Kansas: http://www.kansastravel.org/mushroomrock.htm

Lincoln, NE
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
reviews: 13
2. Re: Toadstool Geological Park

Try typing in Nebraska Toadstool Geologic Park into dogpile search engine. Here you will find information, directions from Chadron, and pictures. The gravel road looks like other gravel roads here in NE. You should be fine with your RV, might just need to go slow, especially if you haven't driven gravel roads. If it is loose gravel, make sure you do go slow as gravel can pull your vehicle. A hike they mention gets you right among the formations. We hope this helps.

South Florida...
reviews: 60
3. Re: Toadstool Geological Park

Thanks for the link - we might just drop down to Kansas and check out Rock City, Mushroom City & Cedar Bluff. They sound really cool.

Hudson Valley
reviews: 1
4. Re: Toadstool Geological Park

It's been years since I've been there, but my husband visited the park a few years ago and enjoyed it. It reminded me of a mini version of the Badlands. He was driving either our rental car or my dad's pick up truck (can't remember which), but he said the roads were fine.

If you want to see, he has a few pictures posted:

www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/image/100609069

Other things you can do in the area include the Hudson-Meng Bison Kill Site and Fort Robinson.

Moline, Illinois
reviews: 28
5. Re: Toadstool Geological Park

This is a great place to visit. Very unusual formations. But BEWARE the 1 mile loop interpretive trail! The first 1/4 mile is a stroll, but after that it's murder. We had to scramble over and slide down rocks. We're not so young any more and I feared I couldn't make it! Well, what choice do you have but to push on. I didn't get hurt and came through a little shaken, but OK. The interpretive booklet was interesting, but I wish I'd stopped at the first rock climb!

USA
reviews: 233
6. Re: Toadstool Geological Park

Toadstool Geological Park is great. Like JoyHein we found the loop trail rougher than we expected, but we enjoyed it. In September 2011 Nebraska gravel roads were the worst we have ever encountered. I was concerned we would break down miles from nowhere with questionable cell phone coverage. It is too similar to the Badlands to merit a detour. Probably too late to help Sierra_Sunshine.

florissant
reviews: 4
7. Re: Toadstool Geological Park

I recently revisited Toadstool Geological Park as it is now billed by Nebraska Tourism after a hiatus of 27 years with fellow members of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association's Black Hills Convoy which was traveling from nearby Fort Robinson. I found that it apparently has been given a promotion from a picnic area to a "campground" by the U.S. Forest Service. It is located within the Oglala Natl. Grasslands. I steered our convoy up from Ft. Rob. north on Hwy 2 until we came to N. Moody Rd as Google Map suggests, wanting to avoid the dusty unpaved Toadstool Road as much as possible. WRONG! Apparently the county has given up trying to maintain N. Moody Rd. The alternate from Hwy 2 is Sugar Loaf Rd which is a very nice scenic route which traverses a high ridge and apparently much better condition wise than the other route. On the downside it brings you to the Toadstool Road about 2 miles north of Toadstool Park so you have to back track a bit. I'm 63 and another in our group is 71 and we had no difficulties walking the path. On our return trek eight days later, we stopped at Hudson-Meng Bison Site and the High Plains Homestead (for lunch). Everyone so enjoyed the convoy that we plan to return in June of 2016. I found the Homestead an interesting and worthwhile stop for lunch. Another interesting stop northwest of Toadstool is the Warbonnet Battlefield site located just north of the road at Montrose, NE. Only thing left of the town is the church. From there you can see the two stone pylons marking the site.

Reply to: Toadstool Geological Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crawford
Recent Conversations