We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when to visit Yellowstone

Which West Yellowstone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 3
when to visit Yellowstone

We would like to visit Yellowstone in the spring as the wildflowers are blooming and before the crowds get reallythick. But when, exactly, might that be? May, June?

West Yellowstone, MT
1. Re: when to visit Yellowstone

This year will be a great one for wildflowers because we have had a wet winter with more snow than recent years. Spring comes at different times and at different elevations in the Park. Last weekend, many meadows and river areas were full of melted snow and there is still plenty of snow in the mountains.

Here is a link from the Yellowstone National Park Service that gives some great information about types of wildflowers, where they bloom, and when.

nps.gov/yell/nature/plants/286wildflowers.pdf

To me, June is a better month because of the variety of flowers in different parts of the Park.

Eastern PA
reviews: 1
2. Re: when to visit Yellowstone

We''ll be visiting May 20-21. Some flowers will be out by then, hopefully? Everytime I view the live webcam I still see lots of snow.

West Yellowstone, MT
3. Re: when to visit Yellowstone

We did have a lot of snow this past winter - more than in recent years. However, it's been warming up over the past week and the snow is quickly melting. Last weekend we could see the ice & snowmelt and the hint of green coming up in the meadows and along the rivers!

West Yellowstone, MT
4. Re: when to visit Yellowstone

A quick update! In the past few days our temparatures are really warming up..finally! We are reaching high 50's and low 60's F by next week. We are going to be the Park this weekend checking out the wildflowers and will update you if you'd like.

Eastern PA
reviews: 1
5. Re: when to visit Yellowstone

I'll be heading west tomorrow.

It would be great to see some buds on the trees and a few flowers peaking through the snow next weekend. I just checked the Jackson Hole webcam and saw a pedestrian with a short-sleeved shirt. : ) I opted not to pack the winter coat - but I'm still taking the gloves.

Big Sky, MT
reviews: 30
6. Re: when to visit Yellowstone

I was in the park on Saturday (5/13). The weather is beautiful, and is supposed to remain so for the foreseeable future. There were tons of baby bison. Almost all the snow is gone from road-level areas, though some mountain ranges are still holding considerable snow. Not a whole lot in the way of flowers yet, but that should change day by day this week. Crowds were about as minimal as it gets.

All in all, if you're planning a backcountry backpacking trip, I'd consider your elevation before planning a route. If you're planning a driving trip, there will be no better time than the next couple of weeks.

7. Re: when to visit Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, August 12, 2009