We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Full Days in Bozeman....Check out my plan...

Which Bozeman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 2
2 Full Days in Bozeman....Check out my plan...

Hello,

I will be staying in Bozeman for 3 nights in late July.

I am planning to have 2 full days to explore the surrounding areas. We will be starting the day at 7:00am and going till about 9:00pm.

Here is my plan:

Day 1 - Drive to Yellowstone NP. Start at Mammoth Hot Springs, Norris, Old Faithful, Fishing Bridge and then hike the Mt. Washburn trail.

Day 2 - Grand Tenton NP. Not sure yet what to do at GT, but try to find a good hike. Something moderate, approx 5-6 miles.

Does this sound like a decent plan?

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Also, Is it better to enter Yellowstone at the North Entrance or is the West one better? What has less traffic and back-ups?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Bruceton Mills...
reviews: 3
1. Re: 2 Full Days in Bozeman....Check out my plan...

It sounds like you'll be driving from Bozeman each day and then back at night. True?

Why not consider Gardiner or West Yellowstone?

Toronto
2. Re: 2 Full Days in Bozeman....Check out my plan...

Hey,

I have a free hotel stay in Bozeman for all 3 nights.....so its gonna have to be the home base.

I know its going to be at least 1-2 hours each way...depending on where we head.

Let me know your thoughts.....

Thanks,

Paul

North Carolina
reviews: 5
3. Re: 2 Full Days in Bozeman....Check out my plan...

Well, at least Bozeman is a nice city. If I were you though, I'd give up the first or last night's free stay and get a motel in Jackson for that one night so you won't have so much backtracking and doubling up. For your hike in the Tetons, you could start at the Hidden Falls/Inspiration Point and continue on up the canyon as far as you want. You'll leave the people behind after the first mile and a half.

If you have to leave anything out in Yellowstone, I'd leave out Mammoth Hot Springs. If you can add anything, I'd add the Canyon of the Yellowstone.

Toronto
4. Re: 2 Full Days in Bozeman....Check out my plan...

Hey,

That is a good idea.

Although I am giving up a free night, I will probably use the money in gas.

If we leave Bozeman and drive back through Yellowstone and to the Tetons....we can hike all day at GT NP.

We leave the park and drive to either Idaho Falls or Pocatello.

This way we can drive towards the next destination and cut the next day's journey in half.

Pocatello and Idaho Falls all have cheap hotel options....so I'll just do some digging and find a good rate.

Thanks again and good idea!

Paul

North Carolina
reviews: 5
5. Re: 2 Full Days in Bozeman....Check out my plan...

If your choice is either Pocatello or Idaho Falls, stay in Idaho Falls. Much nicer city IMO.

Park City, Utah
6. Re: 2 Full Days in Bozeman....Check out my plan...

Hi, i am a 56 year old pharmacist and i lived in bozeman 20 years. your trip sounds as if all you want to do is drive, if you must stay in Bozeman each night, here is my suggestion. one day drive thru gardner at mammouth and continue to canyon and see canyon and waterfalls, then on to mudpots. turn around and head to madison junction and continue to old faithful, head back and go to west yellowstone. Each night of the week is a play at the playmill theater. try playmill.com. The play is fun and costs about $15. Then drive back to Bozeman. This is a long full day. In the park you will be lucky to average 35 mph. On day in the morning go to Museum of rockies in bozeman and see dinosaurs and King Tut exhibit. That afternoon rent a raft and go 16 miles west of Bozeman and float the Madison river. It runs along the highway, put your raft out upstream and drive car down and hitchhike back. Dont worry everyone knows what you are doing and will give you a ride. On the next day you might like to go to Lewis and Clark caverns and after drive down Hwy 191 and hike 2 miles up to Lava Lake or go to Big Sky and hike to Ullerys lakes or to Ozzel Falls. Just ask at any place. You are in Montana and everyone if friendly. This would be a vacation. Darryl

7. Re: 2 Full Days in Bozeman....Check out my plan...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 29, 2009