We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

big sky skiing too busy at christmas?

Which Big Sky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Freedom, Wisconsin
big sky skiing too busy at christmas?

My family is planning a ski christmas for either christmas or new years week. we are wondering how crazy busy it is during this time at Big Sky. my brother want to go to colorado instead, and the other friends we were going with are concerned about wait lines at christmas time. any input would appreciated. My vote is for Big Sky!

4 replies to this topic
Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
reviews: 13
1. Re: big sky skiing too busy at christmas?

I have been to Big Sky around New Years. Combined with Moonlight Basin it is the largest ski area in the US. That and the fact that it is not close to any huge metro area (Denver, Salt lake) make it ideal and lacking in crowds. The only problem you will have is if there has not been enough early snow-but that goes for any where.

Edited: 7:03 pm, May 21, 2013
Freedom, Wisconsin
2. Re: big sky skiing too busy at christmas?

Thanks for the info!

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 15
3. Re: big sky skiing too busy at christmas?

I was in Big Sky just after New Years in January of this year. We were there after the 'crowds' had apparently just dropped off (because everyone had gone back to work/school). The only time that I had to wait (about 5 minutes!) to get on a lift in January was when it was a public holiday! I think that around Christmas it would be busier because people from Bozeman would head up, but it would still be nothing compared to Colorado! I think it would be better with more people around (ie, Christmas & New Years) because otherwise it's a really quiet resort and really the only thing to do there is to ski. It's lovely though and has great snow! (But one weekend when we were there the temperature dropped to -26 degrees celcius!!)

Edited: 11:36 pm, July 27, 2013
Big Sky, Montana
4. Re: big sky skiing too busy at christmas?

Big Sky will be way, way, way less crowded than ANY Colorado resort.

The ski runs at Big Sky are spread out over 5,000 acres, so the resort can really spread out the visitors and not get the lift lines all clogged up.

As far as Bozeman people, they are almost all college kids who go home for Xmas, so they are not a factor.

Reply to: big sky skiing too busy at christmas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted