We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to MT. Suggestions Please:

Which Big Sky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Delaware
reviews: 13
First Trip to MT. Suggestions Please:

We're going to stay at the Lake Condos in Big Sky the first week of June. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do in the area. We're flatlanders living at sea level. We're also Sr. Citizens, so we know we're going to have to take it easy until we get adjusted to the altitude. One thing we want to see for sure, is Old Faithful. Does anyone know how far it is from Big Sky? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. We like hiking,sight seeing, shopping, eating, wildlife, birds, swimming.

9 replies to this topic
washington d.c.
reviews: 3
1. Re: First Trip to MT. Suggestions Please:

My favorite restaurants on the mountain are The Cabin and I like the bar and restaurant Jack Creek at Moon Light Basin Lodge. Down mountain are Bucks-T 4 Lodge, Olives, and Bugaboos.

As far as hikes go. I really enjoy BeeHive Basin, trail head is on BeeHive Basin road near the Moon Light entrance. It's not a difficult hike, it's popular with alot of traffic. That being said it still may be snow covered. You could also do Lava Lake on 191(3 miles up and 3 miles down). It usually is snow free in early June. Grizzly Outfitters in the village has lots of local hiking information.

Make sure you check out Bozeman for a day, very cute town with nice shopping. Museum of the Rockies is worth an afternoon too.

Englewood, Fl.
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
2. Re: First Trip to MT. Suggestions Please:

MapQuest shows the distance from Big Sky to Old Faithful @ around 80 miles or 2 hours. However, due to numerous variables, when driving inside Yellowstone, the normal time/distance equations seldom work. A rule of thumb is to double the mileage to get the time. To put that into perspective, the 60 miles from the west gate of YNP down to Old Faithful could take you as much as two hours all by itself.

Another point to consider is that early June can still bring late winter weather conditions to the mountains, and that could also impact your travel time.

While I understand your lodging situation for this trip, these reasons, and the driving distance in general, do not make Big Sky the ideal place to stay when visiting Yellowstone.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
reviews: 27
3. Re: First Trip to MT. Suggestions Please:

One other issue to be aware of is the roadwork on 191 south of Bozeman. Check the MT DOT website for updates on possible construction delays in that area.

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
4. Re: First Trip to MT. Suggestions Please:

We took a day trip into Yellowstone from Big Sky. Everything does take longer, so allow for the whole day. Worth it.

Massachusetts
5. Re: First Trip to MT. Suggestions Please:

Hello- we thinking of visiting Jackson Hole to see Grand Tetons/Yellowstone the very last week of August. Do you think it will still be insanely crowded that last week? Unfortunately, due to my son being in school, summer is the only time we can go. Also, I have read that Jackson Hole is about an hours drive from the lower loop of Yellowstone. Is that true or should we really plan on double that time? Thank you so much in advance!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 1
6. Re: First Trip to MT. Suggestions Please:

It's about 45min to one hour from the grand loop the north boundary of Grand Teton and another hour to Jackson. Without any stops.

The number of visitors starts dropping by the middle of August because of school starting around the country.

Edited: 10:39 am, June 06, 2013
Massachusetts
7. Re: First Trip to MT. Suggestions Please:

Thanks! One last question (thanks for your patience). Would you suggest that the Jackson Hole area in Wyoming or the Big Sky area in Montana is a better place to stay overall?

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
8. Re: First Trip to MT. Suggestions Please:

Neither one for your whole trip. The area is too large. Big Skyt can be used for a single day trip in to the Old Faithful area but is too far for anything else.

Travelbug, you'll get better advice if you start your own thread. People often don't look at old threads. It gets confusing for responders, too -- just whose question am I answering? So we appreciate it. You might want to post on the Wyoming/Yellowstone forum.

Edited: 11:59 am, June 06, 2013
Massachusetts
9. Re: First Trip to MT. Suggestions Please:

thank you!

Reply to: First Trip to MT. Suggestions Please:
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted