We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunn Road in South St. Louis, MO Help?

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
Dunn Road in South St. Louis, MO Help?

Our youth group is traveling to St. Louis and will be staying from Thursday night until Saturday morning. Our minister has already booked a Motel 6 on Dunn Road at Exit #32 off of I-270. Can anyone tell me a little bit about that area and if it is a safe area to stay in, what restaurants are around it, etc..

St Louis
reviews: 6
1. Re: Dunn Road in South St. Louis, MO Help?

Dunn road is the service road that runs parallel to 270 in North St Louis county. The neighborhood is middle class. If the hotel is where I think it is you won't been within walking distance of much. A pretty short drive away though you will find Lindbergh Blvd. Going North on Lindbergh you will find a lot of restaurants. Pueblo Nuevo is close to 270 on Lindbergh and has very good food. The prices there are also reasonable. Wingstop is also on North Lindbergh and would be a good place to take a group.

If you want more info just ask. I grew up in north county so I can make plenty more recommendations.

Saint Peters
reviews: 58
2. Re: Dunn Road in South St. Louis, MO Help?

I wouldn't stay anywhere near Dunn Road. It is in North County, which is not very nice or safe. I am sure I am going to offend bigcalc since he grew up in that area (and I do apologize), but honestly it is not one of the nicer areas to stay in St. Louis. I would check around for a better area. Possibly try Priceline.com. You can probably pay about the same on priceline as the cheap rate that I am sure you are getting from Motel 6. Maybe try the west county or south county area. Hope this helps.

St Louis
3. Re: Dunn Road in South St. Louis, MO Help?

No need to apologize. Actually I agree with you and along with what seems to be most everyone else have joined the exodus to St Charles county. Not a whole lot to do in North County. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that there was a reason they picked North county besides price. If price is the only consideration I would look at the hill area. I've seen a hotel from hwy 44 at Hampton that I would imagine is fairly inexpensive. It would put you in a relatively close proximity to downtown without the downtown prices. The hill is also a famous italian neighborhood with many restaurants which are fairly reasonable.

If you find another hotel that you are interested in just post it and I'll do my best to tell you about the area.

Saint Louis...
4. Re: Dunn Road in South St. Louis, MO Help?

Well I'm still alive and well and have close to the area for over 30 years..... YES there are bad parts. I do not recommend that motel. I would not stay there myself. Next closest that I would stay in would be Red Roof Inn on Dunn Road @ Graham, or across at the Hampton Inn. Not up on the restaurants in that area, but you are less than 3 miles from Lindbergh (several more motel hotels here) where there is everything - including a Bandana's BBQ which I love.

reviews: 4
5. Re: Dunn Road in South St. Louis, MO Help?

I mean, I find that to be a HUGE, unnecessary generalization?! You can't say that an ENTIRE part of a city is bad?! I don't live North... but I would never slam it that way. A bit judgemental for me, particularly when you know that there are people on this forum that live North.

6. Re: Dunn Road in South St. Louis, MO Help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:03 pm, June 06, 2005
St. Louis, MO
reviews: 30
7. Re: Dunn Road in South St. Louis, MO Help?

ummm...she is talking about GRAHAM Rd., NOT GRAND. Big difference!!

reviews: 4
8. Re: Dunn Road in South St. Louis, MO Help?

Feeling a bit like the twilight zone in here?!

9. Re: Dunn Road in South St. Louis, MO Help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:04 pm, June 06, 2005
St Louis
10. Re: Dunn Road in South St. Louis, MO Help?

Didn't realize North county would stir up such a hornets nest. Am not sure if you are still booked into the Motel 6 or not. There have been a wide variety of opinions which I'm sure has made it even more confusing for you. I can't really comment on the motel that you picked because I'm not sure exactly which one it is. In my opinion if I was bringing a youth group to St Louis I would stay closer to downtown where a majority of the sightseeing things to do are located (arch, zoo). If you have a reason to stay in North county (i.e. church function) I think you will be fine but otherwise I would try to stay closer to the touristy areas. Only my opinion though. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Get answers to your questions about Saint Louis